Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
About Green Noodles
In this recipe, mint leaves are ground with onions, cashews, pepper powder, garlic and lemon juice to give a wonderfully tangy and spicy flavor. Easy to prepare, yet very flavorful, this dish makes for a filling and tasty meal.
Kids love noodles, so this recipe is a great way to sneak some greens into their diet. Serve this for dinner or as a packed lunch, and you will see how they clean their plates!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 2 people 250 grams of noodles
- 250 grams noodles
- 3-4 cups water, to boil and cook
- salt, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon olive oil, or as needed
- 1 bunch mint leaves (pudina), washed
- 8-10 cashew nuts
- 1-2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, skins removed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder, or to taste
- 1/2 lemon
- In a wide pan or pot, boil 2-3 cups of water. Add salt and 1/2 teaspoon of oil and bring it to boil over high flame. Once the water has boiled, add noodles. Cook over medium flame till it is al dente, or just cooked. It may take about 2-5 minutes depending on the type of noodles you are using. (Follow the cooking instructions on the noodle packaging.)
- Reserve 1/2 cup of water for later use. Drain noodles in colander, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Roughly chop onions and remove garlic skins. Pluck fresh mint leaves, discard stems, wash leaves, and set aside.
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute till brown.
- Add cashews. Fry till brown. Let them cool.
- Transfer the fried mixture to a mixer jar. To this add mint leaves, pepper powder, salt, and lemon juice. Grind to smooth paste (add a little water if required).
- Add the ground paste back to the pan, and heat over low flame for 3-4 minutes, or till the raw smell of mint leaves dissipates.
- Add cooked and drained noodles to the pan. Toss well till all the noodles are coated with the paste. You can add more salt and pepper powder at this stage if you like. Sprinkle some reserved water (from the cooked noodles) if you feel your noodles are too dry.
- Serve and enjoy.
More About Green Noodles
- Add noodles only when the water is boiling well. Add only a very small amount of oil to the water.
- You can add some cream to this dish to give it a creamy texture.
- You can use freshly ground black pepper or store-brought pepper powder.
- Add a generous amount of pepper powder if you want spicy green noodles.
- You can mix mint leaves with coriander leaves, too.
- Garnish it with green onions (optional).
Shwetha bhat (author) from Bengaluru on November 22, 2019:
Thanks for your words. Please do try and I am sure you will love it.
Liza from USA on November 22, 2019:
I never had anything like this before and I bet it's yummy! Thanks for sharing an interesting recipe.