I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
Chinese-style foods normally taste different from other foods. They often use monosodium glutamate (also known as Ajinomoto or MSG) and olive oil when cooking. Ajinomoto imparts a unique taste and flavor that dominates the flavor of other ingredients used in making the dish. Due to controversies associated with Ajinomoto, I do not use it in my recipes. You can make delicious fried rice without using it. Vegetable fried rice is eaten best with Manchurian or Paneer chili as a side dish.
Tips for buying soy sauce:
One of the ingredients I used here is soy sauce. When choosing a soy sauce, make sure that it is brewed naturally. Also, check whether it has Ajinomoto (MSG/Monosodium Glutamate) content in it. Soya sauce is sometimes made using harsh chemicals that might have side effects on health. Go for natural, Ajinomoto-free soy sauce.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 2 cups long grain rice or Basumati rice
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt, as per taste
- 3/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 mace, broken into pieces,optional, I didn't use
- 1 star anise, broken into pieces, optional, I didn't use
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup capsicum/bell pepper, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup french beans, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded lengthwise
- 1/4 cup spring onion, finely chopped
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions for Making Veg Fried Rice
- Wash rice. Soak in 3 cups of fresh water for 15 minutes. Cook up to two whistles, simmer for two minutes. Put off the fire. Open the cooker, spread the rice on a plate.
- Heat olive oil in a wok or in a deep bottomed Kadhai. Throw crushed garlic into it. Saute till it turns golden. Pour chopped vegetables, except bell pepper. Fry on high flame for 2 minutes. Add chopped bell pepper. Continue frying for one more minute. Add a pinch of sugar to retain the color of the veggies.
- Add soy sauce and vinegar. Stir-fry for few seconds. Add rice, pepper powder and salt. Mix once. Toss for even combining. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens.
- Chinese-style vegetable fried rice is ready to serve. Serve hot with Manchurian or with chili paneer as a side dish.
- Cook rice al dente.
- Cook vegetables on high flame to retain crunchiness.
- Toss at the final stage to combine the spices with the rice.
- Using mace and star anise gives a special flavor to this fried rice.
Ashi on March 27, 2017:
You are welcome :)
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on March 25, 2017:
Ashish, thanks for your lovely comments.
Ashi on March 25, 2017:
This is a mouthwatering recipe I must say that. I loved the way you have made it easy and simple. I will definitely try this.
Thank you for sharing with us.