Healthy Recipes: Chinese-Style Vegetable Fried Rice
Chinese style foods normally taste different from other foods. They often use monosodium glutamate (also known as Ajinomoto or MSG) and olive oil when cooking. Ajinomoto imparts a unique taste and flavor that dominates the flavor of other ingredients used in making the dish. Due to controversies associated with Ajinomoto, I do not use it in my recipes. You can make delicious fried rice without using it. Vegetable fried rice is eaten best with Manchurian or Paneer chili as a side dish.
Tips for buying soy sauce:
One of the ingredients I used here is soy sauce. When choosing a soy sauce, make sure that it is brewed naturally. Also, check whether it has Ajinomoto (MSG/Monosodium Glutamate) content in it. Soya sauce is sometimes made using harsh chemicals that might have side effects on health. Go for natural, Ajinomoto-free soy sauce.
- 2 cups long grain rice or Basumati rice
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt, as per taste
- 3/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 mace, broken into pieces,optional, I didn't use
- 1 star anise, broken into pieces, optional, I didn't use
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup capsicum/bell pepper, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup french beans, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded lengthwise
- 1/4 cup spring onion, finely chopped
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions for Making Veg Fried Rice
- Wash rice. Soak in 3 cups of fresh water for 15 minutes. Cook up to two whistles, simmer for two minutes. Put off the fire. Open the cooker, spread the rice on a plate.
- Heat olive oil in a wok or in a deep bottomed Kadhai. Throw crushed garlic into it. Saute till it turns golden. Pour chopped vegetables, except bell pepper. Fry on high flame for 2 minutes. Add chopped bell pepper. Continue frying for one more minute. Add a pinch of sugar to retain the color of the veggies.
- Add soy sauce and vinegar. Stir- fry for few seconds. Add rice, pepper powder and salt. Mix once. Toss for even combining. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens.
- Chinese style vegetable fried rice is ready to serve. Serve hot with Manchurian or with Chili paneer as a side dish.
- Cook rice al dente.
- Cook vegetables on high flame to retain crunchiness.
- Toss, at the final stage to combine the spices with the rice.
- Using mace and star anise gives a special flavor to this fried rice.
Nutritional Information of Vegetable Fried Rice
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Carbohydrates 46 g||15%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 60 mg||20%|
|Sodium 180 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|