How to Make Beaten Rice Upma (Poha Upma)
A Delightful Breakfast For All
Poha upma is a spicy, flavorful, and delicious breakfast dish. You can make it in 30 minutes for four people. Roasted peanuts gives this upma a nutty flavor, while fresh lemon juice imparts natural sourness.
Beaten rice has many nutrients. It contains essential vitamins and minerals. It is fat-free, lactose-free, and gluten-free. It is also a diabetes-friendly food.
This upma has a pleasantly grainy texture. It retains its smoothness even when cold. So you can pack this dish for a picnic or take it to the office.
Here is the detailed recipe.
- 2 cups beaten rice, thick variety, washed, soaked in water for 15 minutes.
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, minced, or slit and cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, alternatively, you can use tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp white lentils(urad dal)
- 1 tsp gram dal(split chickpea)
- 1 dry red chili, optional, broken
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Beaten Rice Upma
- Wash beaten rice. Add fresh water. Soak it for 15 minutes or until they are soft. Squeeze the water out by pressing them while holding in your fist. Collect them in a plate.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add gram dal, urad dal, peanuts, broken dry red chilies, and curry leaves. Saute until peanuts become crispy and lentils turn golden brown.
- Add finely chopped onions, ginger, and green chilies. Saute until onions turn transparent.
- Add tomatoes. Cook until they are soft.
- Now, reduce the heat to minimum.
- Add beaten rice, turmeric powder, sugar, salt, and lemon juice. Mix very well with the contents in the pan.
- Next, throw in grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Mix once again. By now, the beaten rice would have become hot. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite, yummy poha upma is ready! Serve it hot as is or serve with a coconut chutney on the side.
- Enjoy the heavenly taste!
Nutritional Information of Poha Upma
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 14 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|