How to Make Idli Cutlets
Idli Cutlets Are Amazing Evening Snacks
Though we make idlis often, I never had the idea to make cutlets with the leftover idlis, until I came across a recipe on the web. It is a wonderful idea to make cutlets using idlis.
These cutlets are just like other cutlets, having broken idli as one of the ingredients to make the dough. There is no doubt it is a healthy snack as it has vegetables, idlis, and spices in it.
I served these hot idli cutlets to my son during the evening, with tomato ketchup on the side. He enjoyed eating them. It is one of the most exciting ways to use your leftover idlis.
Now, let's have a look in detail how to make this yummy snack.
- 4 idlis, broken
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 2 tsp green peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp onions, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 small potatoes, boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 2 pinches chat masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 2 pinches sugar, to balance the taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2-3 tsp oil
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Idli Cutlets
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan. Add chopped onions. Saute them till they turn transparent.
- Add grated carrots, chopped green chilies, and green peas. Throw in some salt. Saute for about 4 minutes.
- Next, add garam masala powder, red chili powder, sugar, and chat masala. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add mashed potatoes and broken idlis. Combine them well, so that there are no lumps in the dough.
- Divide the dough in lemon-sized balls. Make patties out of them. Shallow fry or roast, sprinkling some oil on each patties until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve these yummy idli cutlets with tomato ketchup on the side. Enjoy eating this nutritious snack!
Nutritional Information of Idli Cutlets
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 42 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|