How to Make Moong Dal Khichdi in a Pressure Cooker
Dal khichdi (or khichdi as it is often called) is a dish made with rice and lentils. In this recipe, we use moong dal (split and skinned green gram/mung bean). This dish is, therefore, called moong dal khichdi.
Moong dal khichdi is very light and easy to digest. That's why this dish is a good choice for those with weak digestive systems, sick people, toddlers, and even babies who are over six months old (although you may need to adjust and thin the recipe appropriately).
Moong dal khichdi is a complete meal in itself and is very wholesome. You can have it with yogurt/dahi, desi ghee, or just some pickles. Adding just a tablespoon of desi ghee improves the flavor. Mix it well and eat. Learn about the health benefits of mung beans/moong dal in my article.
Other dals like tuvar (arhar), whole moong dal, and chana dal (split and skinned brown chick peas/bengal gram) can be used in addition to the rice to make khichdi.
- For Boiling Dal
- 1 liter water
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup dhuli moong dal/split & skinned mung beans
- 1 tsp/to taste salt
- An estimate of the salt needed, is as many tsp of it as the total number of cups of rice and moong dal taken
- For Tadka/Tempering The Khichdi
- 3 tbsp desi ghee/clarified butter
- 1/4 tsp bhuna jeera powder/roasted cumin seed powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- Wash the moong dal and rice thoroughly under running water till the water runs clear.
- Put them in the pressure cooker. Keep heat on high on a medium burner and add water and salt. Close the cooker.
- At the second whistle, take it off the gas and allow the pressure to decrease.
- Open the cooker and check the rice and dal. They should be soft now. Keep the cooker on low to medium heat. If the khichdi is thick, add some water until it's the consistency that you want.
- On another burner, prepare the tadka/tempering while the khichdi heats up. Keep a pan on full heat and add the desi ghee.
- When ghee is hot, add the roasted cumin seed powder and black pepper powder. Let it fry for 15-20 seconds, and then pour the tadka in the khichdi.
- Mix well and cook for a minute or so till the khichdi is hot enough.
- Transfer the moong dal khichdi to a serving bowl, and serve hot with dahi/yogurt or top it up with some desi ghee and any pickles.
- Check out my recipe video below to see how moong dal khichdi has been prepared.