Making Red Amaranth Leaves (Kempu Harive) and Garlic Stir-Fry
Red Amaranth Garlic Stir-Fry
Can You Be Red With Envy?
There can't be any other side dish that is easier to make than this amaranth stir-fry. This curry has a strong aroma of garlic. It blends perfectly with the natural smell of the amaranth leaves. This is a somewhat mild side dish that can be consumed with any type of main course menu.
How to Make this Simple Curry:
Remove amaranth leaves from the stem. Collect the stems, and store them in the refrigerator for future use. Wash the leaves in fresh water 2-3 times, changing the water each time. Roughly chop them. Keep aside.
Heat some oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds, diced garlic, broken dry red chilies, and asafoetida/hing powder. Saute on low fire till mustard splutters. By this time, garlic becomes golden. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add chopped red amaranth leaves and some salt. Stir-cook on low fire for 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle water occasionally while stir-cooking. Close the pan for fast cooking. Throw very little jaggery powder(optional) to balance the sourness and salt. Mix well. Cook on low fire till amaranth leaves cook completely. Add grated coconut(optional). Mix well.
Red amaranth leaves garlic stir-fry curry is ready! Serve it as a side for plain rice, curd rice, or pancakes. You can even eat 2-3 teaspoons of this yummy dish as it is for good health.
- 2 packed bowls red amaranth leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing powder
- 1/4 tsp jaggery powder or sugar, optional
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 small cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp grated coconut, optional
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Red Amaranth Leaves Garlic Stir-fry Side Dish:
- Wash amaranth 2-3 times in water. Separate the leaves from the stem. Store the stem in refrigerator for future use. Finely chop the leaves. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds, diced garlic cloves, broken dry red chilies, and asafoetida or hing powder. Saute on low fire till mustard crackles. By this time, garlic gets golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Add some salt. Continue sauteing on medium-low fire till tomatoes become soft.
- Add chopped amaranth. Increase the fire. Stir-cook for 8-9 minutes or till the leaves get done. Add very little jaggery powder or sugar. This is just to balance the salty and sour taste.
- Sprinkle some water while cooking to ensure not burning the contents in the bottom. Cover the pan for fast cooking. Add grated coconut(optional) and remaining salt. Mix well.
- Once the mix becomes dry, turn off the fire. Transfer the curry to a serving dish.
- Red amaranth leaves garlic stir-fry side dish is ready to serve. Serve it with boiled rice, curd rice, pancakes, or chapatis. Enjoy eating this herbal curry!