I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
An Excellent Breakfast or Lunch
I prefer to serve my family a healthy breakfast or lunch. I believe the food we use should be nutritious and tasty as well.
This vegetable tahari is one such dish that has plenty of vegetables, whole spices, and curds. This is a special Avadhi dish from Uttar Pradesh, India.
Making this dish is very easy. This is a one-pot meal that can be made in 40 minutes. I used french beans, peas, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, and onions. You can add or delete a few vegetables of your choice here.
Serving this with cucumber-onion raita on the side is a great combination, as they make a perfect pair. You can pack this dry food in a lunch box for school or a picnic, and enjoy the taste.
Now, let's learn how to make vegetable tahari.
Vegetable Tahari/Vegetable Rice Cooked With Curds
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 1/4 cup Basmati rice, washed, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup green peas, fresh/frozen
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 potato, cubed
- 8 french beans, cut lengthwise
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, or 1/4 inch ginger crushed with 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup curds or yogurt, medium sour
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- whole spices, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon stick,
- 3-4 tsp oil, I used 2 tsp oil and 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- 1/4 tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder, optional, I used
- a pinch sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- salt to taste
Step-by-Step Instructions and Images for Making Vegetable Tahari
- Wash basmati rice well. Soak it in fresh water for 30 minutes. Strain it at the time of using.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker base or in a thick-bottomed pot. Add whole spices. Saute for a minute.
- Add green chilies and ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a few seconds. You will get a nice aroma from the roasted spices.
- Throw in chopped onions. Saute them till they become translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Continue sauteing till they are a bit mushy.
- Add turmeric powder and chopped mint leaves. Saute for a while.
- Now, add vegetables. Throw in some salt. Mix well with the other ingredients. Saute on a medium-high heat for a minute.
- Add whisked curds. Stir the mix well. Let the mix boil for a minute.
- Add soaked rice. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add about 4 cups of water. Bring the mix to a boil.
- Add remaining salt, sugar(optional), pepper powder, and amchur powder(optional). Boil the mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, close the pressure cooker lid. Place the weight. Cook it till 2 whistles. Simmer for 4 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Once the entire pressure releases naturally, open the lid. Fluff it with a fork.
- Now, your favorite vegetable tahari is ready to serve! Serve it as is, garnished with chopped coriander leaves or serve with a cucumber-onion raita on the side for more fun.
- Enjoy this healthy and appetizing main course!