I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Creamy and Mouth-Watering Coconut Pulao in 30 Minutes
This coconut pulao, or coconut rice, is very easy to make and is hassle-free. You have to gather the ingredients and make it quickly. This dish is soft, creamy, and delightful.
Multi-colored coconut pulao is attractive with its yellow, green, and orange color. I used carrots, french beans, and peas in this. Turmeric is responsible for its yellow base.
Sauteed whole garam masala, green chilies, and onions add spiciness to this yummy coconut rice.
Adding coconut milk is another specialty here. Coconut gives very good flavor and creaminess to the rice grains. I made this dish in a pressure cooker. You can also make it in a pot.
Let's learn how to make this easy and simple vegetarian coconut rice or coconut pulao.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice, I used Basmati rice. You can use any rice
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cut vegetables, I used carrots, green beans, and peas.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper corns
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup cashew nut pieces, sauteed
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Coconut Rice or Coconut Pulao
- Wash long-grain rice or basmati rice. Immerse in fresh water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker base or a pot. Throw in cumin seeds, pepper corns, bay leaves, and cinnamon sticks. Saute them for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions. Saute till they are transparent and a bit golden.
- Throw in chopped vegetables and slit green chilies. Add some salt and turmeric powder. Stir-cook for 3 minutes.
- Strain rice mixture. Add it to the cooker.
- Continue stir-cooking for another 2 minutes. Add coconut milk. Also add about 2 1/2 cups of water. Add remaining salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil. Stir it occasionally so that, it won't burn in the bottom. Boil it for 2-3 minutes. Now, cover the cooker lid. Place the weight.
- Let it whistle once. Simmer for two minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Once the pressure releases naturally, open the lid. Gently fluff the rice with a fork. Transfer the pulao to a serving dish.
- Saute cashew nut pieces in some ghee or oil till they are golden brown. Spread it on the pulao. Also add chopped fresh green coriander.
- Serve it hot. Enjoy eating this yummy and flavorful coconut pulao with a spicy sauce or chutney. You can eat it even without any accompaniment. It is yummy as is.