How to Make the Best, Creamiest, Cheesiest, Homemade Mac & Cheese
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
A long time favourite pub luch and hot supper favourite of mine was macaroni and cheese. I say was because I have a wheat and gluten allergy and rice macaroni so far has not worked well in trying to re-create this dish. However this is a current favourite of my younger daughter and her friends when they join us for dinner and I have heard it said that "your mum's mac and cheese is the best!" So here it is, easy to make and a sure fire winner with kids and adults. Serve with a crisp green salad.
Pre-heat oven to 400F/ 200C
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 2 cups + 1/4 grated cheddar or combination of preferred hard cheeses, (use 1/4 cup for sprinkling on top)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- grated black pepper; pinch of salt
- 2 tblsp cornflour (UK) corn starch (US/Canada)
- 1tblsp or 1 oz butter
- 6 cups boiling water
- Boil 6 cups water in a large pan and add macaroni - stir and then cook simmering for 8-10 minutes, add a light touch of salt to boiling water. Drain.
- Whilst macaroni is boiling make the sauce by melting butter in a heavy bottomed milk pan, add 1-2 tblspoons of the milk and then add in cornflour/cornstarch stirring constantly. Whilst stirring add in the remaining milk until the sauce is smooth. If lumps form remove from heat and stir vigorously. Reserve 1/4 cup of cheese for topping and stir in the remaining cheese, nutmeg and season with fresh ground black pepper.
- Put macaroni in oven proof baking dish and pour the sauce over top. Combine. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top. Bake at 400 for 25mins.