How to Up Your Pasta Game With Chicken and Spinach Spaghetti
What's for Dinner?
Let me guess. You are reading this because you're thinking of cooking something pasta-related for dinner. You want something easy, but you have no idea what to make. "What if we do pasta with tomato sauce again?" "Let's just eat pasta with some shredded cheese," or even more terrifying, "pasta with ketchup." Inspiration eludes you, you are tired and hungry, and at this point you are strongly considering take-out or food delivery.
Well, let me stop you right there and share this super easy yet delicious recipe that will not only make you and your hungry loved ones feel happy and full in no time, but will also save you some bucks!
- 1/2 big yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 chicken escalopes (or 2 chicken breasts)
- 20cl whole-fat cooking cream (I used the brand Elle&Vire)
- 3 tablespoons smooth tomato sauce (do not use crushed tomatoes)
- 2 frozen spinach cubes (or a handful of fresh spinach)
- 500g spaghetti nr 5 or 7 (I used the brand Barilla)
- 1 flat teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the onion into extra-thin slices. Peel the garlic cloves and pass them through a garlic press. Slice the chicken breasts either in thin slices or into small cubes.
- Put on a big pot of water, adding a little olive oil and a generous amount of salt.
- In the meantime, in a hot pan on medium heat, add around 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Then add the sliced onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and salt to taste, and cook until the onions start to get transparent and chicken is cooked. Then, add the smashed garlic. Saute everything together for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti in the boiling water and cook according to the box. Stir often.
- Add the cream to the chicken, onion and garlic. Add bay leaves. Lower the heat a bit. Cook for a few minutes until the cream slightly bubbles.
- Defrost the frozen spinach in the microwave and add it to the sauce. If working with fresh spinach, add it directly to the sauce once the cream is a bit hot.
- Add tomato sauce and combine well with the sauce.
- Add the black pepper, sage, and paprika. Check if the sauce needs more salt. Cook until spaghetti is done.
- Top your pasta with parmesan cheese or pecorino. Enjoy!
"Cooking is both mental and physical therapy."
You can get creative and come up with new recipes using the simplest of ingredients; you just have to try and experiment! Try this recipe at home and let me know how it went.