Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna
The Instant Pot is at it again!
I actually found this recipe online but modified it. I tend to do this a lot. A few tweaks and you have something new and exciting for your taste buds.
The lasagna we make in our family is vegetarian. It's fast and delicious. You can add or subtract as many of the ingredients as you wish, depending on your preferences. If you don't like veggie crumbles and have a carnivorous bunch, you can add ground beef or Italian sausage. Not a big veggie fan? No problem, just don't add them.
I like to use lentil and chickpea pasta because it's so much healthier, full of protein, and kids don't even notice the difference. Great way to sneak more fiber into their diet. You can use any type of pasta you like, but penne seems to be a good shape and cooks up well.
We enjoy this lasagna with salad and cheesy toast, and it's a very filling meal. I hope you enjoy this one-pot meal and save more time in your life for things other than slaving away in the kitchen!
- 25-30 oz spaghetti sauce, store-bought
- 1.5-2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb ground beef or veggie crumbles
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 can mushrooms (optional)
- 1 large bunch spinach (fresh or frozen; optional)
- 1 zucchini, quartered (optional)
- 1 cup cottage cheese or ricotta
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs pasta
- Dice your onion and garlic. Set your Instant Pot to sautee mode and add your choice of thawed meat. If you're using veggie crumbles, this will be a lot faster. Sautee the meat until it is browned. Drain if needed.
- Next, add the red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Sautee until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off sautee mode and add your spaghetti sauce. Give it a good stir. If you're adding mushrooms and zucchini, do this now. If you're using frozen spinach, add it now, as well (if you're using fresh spinach, wait until step 7).
- Next, add your pasta on top of this mess. Do not stir.
- Add your 3 cups of water on top of the pasta, making sure it is fully covered.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 3 minutes. When it is done, release the steam with a quick pressure release.
- Stir in the mozzarella and cottage cheese or ricotta. Add optional fresh spinach to the top of this.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you like your lasagna with crunchy bits, after you're done making this, dump it into a baking pan and broil for 7-9 minutes in your oven and top with extra cheese.