Kaanole (Whole Wheat and Jaggery Steamed Cake)
Awesome Steamed Cake With Jaggery
On Nagara Panchami festival day, we don't make deep-fried or shallow-fried dishes. Instead, we make either raw or steamed dishes. Kaanole is one such food that we make on this day.
Making Kaanole At-a-Glance:
This is an easy recipe. To start with, melt the jaggery powder in warm water. Next, make a soft dough with wheat flour, melted jaggery water, semolina, ghee, and a very little salt. Form small lemon-sized balls with this dough. Roll each of them to get a disc. Fold and apply ghee on each fold, as per instructions. Roll them to get triangle cakes. Steam-cook them.
Serve them hot, topped with some ghee. Kaanole tastes good even when cold. This is a guilt-free sweet dish to relish.
Let's now learn in detail how to make kaanole.
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp wheat semolina
- 11/2 tsp + 1 tsp oil and ghee
- 1/4 cup jaggery, powdered
- 2 pinches salt
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Kaanole
- Take jaggery powder in a bowl. Add enough warm water to immerse it completely. Stir well. After some time, jaggery melts.
- Collect this water in a cup. Discard the impurities that settle in the bottom.
- In another bowl, put whole wheat flour, semolina, ghee, oil, and salt. Knead, adding jaggery water little by little to get a smooth and pliable dough.
- Cover the dough and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Next, make many small lemon-sized balls out of the dough. Roll a ball to make a small disc. Thinly apply ghee on the surface. Fold it. Once again, apply ghee. Fold again. Now, you get a small triangle.
- Roll this small triangle to make a big triangle. Don't use flour for rolling. Instead, use a bit of ghee or oil.
- Make all triangles and keep ready. Prepare the steamer or cooker. Once it is hot, place these cakes inside. Pressure cook them for about 10 minutes or until 3 whistles and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Serve 2-3 of these cakes hot in a plate with some ghee on them. Enjoy this rare guilt-free breakfast!
- You can eat them as is.