Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Kaanole (Whole Wheat and Jaggery Steamed Cake)
Awesome Steamed Cake With Jaggery
On Nagara Panchami festival day, we don't make deep-fried or shallow-fried dishes. Instead, we make either raw or steamed dishes. Kaanole is one such food that we make on this day.
Making Kaanole At-a-Glance:
This is an easy recipe. To start with, melt the jaggery powder in warm water. Next, make a soft dough with wheat flour, melted jaggery water, semolina, ghee, and very little salt. Form small lemon-sized balls with this dough. Roll each of them to get a disc. Fold and apply ghee on each fold, as per instructions. Roll them to get triangle cakes. Steam-cook them.
Serve them hot, topped with some ghee. Kaanole tastes good even when cold. This is a guilt-free sweet dish to relish.
Let's now learn in detail how to make kaanole.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves three or four people
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp wheat semolina
- 11/2 tsp + 1 tsp oil and ghee
- 1/4 cup jaggery, powdered
- 2 pinches salt
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Kaanole
- Take jaggery powder in a bowl. Add enough warm water to immerse it completely. Stir well. After some time, jaggery melts.
- Collect this water in a cup. Discard the impurities that settle in the bottom.
- In another bowl, put whole wheat flour, semolina, ghee, oil, and salt. Knead, adding jaggery water little by little to get a smooth and pliable dough.
- Cover the dough and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Next, make many small lemon-sized balls out of the dough. Roll a ball to make a small disc. Thinly apply ghee on the surface. Fold it. Once again, apply ghee. Fold again. Now, you get a small triangle.
- Roll this small triangle to make a big triangle. Don't use flour for rolling. Instead, use a bit of ghee or oil.
- Make all triangles and keep ready. Prepare the steamer or cooker. Once it is hot, place these cakes inside. Pressure cook them for about 10 minutes or until 3 whistles and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Serve 2-3 of these cakes hot in a plate with some ghee on them. Enjoy this rare guilt-free breakfast!
- You can eat them as is.