Mexican Brown Rice With Brown Beans Recipe
A Complete Food With Rice, Beans, and Vegetables
Sometimes, we get bored of making the same old combinations for meals. Making pancakes, rice, curry, side dish, etc., is routine. Today, I wanted to make a rice dish that has everything, like rice, beans, and vegetables.
So I made Mexican brown rice with brown beans. It came out so well that we finished it quickly. It was a delightful and satisfying meal. All the ingredients used in this recipe are natural, with nutrients that made this dish super healthy.
You can eat it as is. However, a mildly spicy, yogurt-based side dish will surely enhance the taste and make this meal more delightful. I served it with a cucumber-onion raita.
Here, I share a detailed, step-by-step recipe for making Mexican brown rice.
- 1 big cup brown rice, washed, soaked in fresh water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup brown beans, washed, soaked in fresh water for 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, such as, French beans, carrots, and capsicum, made into pieces
- 1/4 small cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano or mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tsp spice powder or a spicy sauce, optional, I used biryani masala
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Mexican Rice With Brown Beans
- Wash rice and beans together. Soak them in fresh water for 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook them until you hear a whistle and further, simmer for 8-10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Set aside for cooling.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in minced garlic and chopped onions. Saute until onions turn transparent and light golden brown.
- Add chopped veggies and some salt. Saute over high heat until veggies become a bit soft. Add a few drops of water to keep the veggies moist.
- Add tomato sauce and dried oregano. Saute for two minutes. Add red chili powder, spice powder of your choice or a spicy sauce, and chopped tomatoes.
- I used a teaspoon of biryani masala powder to spice up this dish.
- Stir-cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Add cooked rice-beans mixture. Add remaining salt. Blend them well with the contents in the pan.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Your favorite Mexican brown rice is ready to serve.
- Serve it hot as is or with a yogurt-based, less-spicy side dish. Enjoy the combo and reap the amazing health benefits!
Nutritional Information of Mexican Rice
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 86 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|