One of Susan's passions is cooking and creating new recipes for family and friends.
Restaurant Quality at Home
After eating sausage and pepper penne at East Side Mario’s Restaurant (an Italian North American restaurant chain), I was a little bit disappointed with the amount of sausage that came in the dish for the amount of money that it cost.
Because I enjoyed the dish so much, I wanted to try to recreate it at home in my own kitchen. This way I could add as much sausage as I wanted. I am sure the following recipe is not exactly the same, as East Side Mario's was a bit spicier.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
Serves 4 to 5 people
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed chili peppers
- 10 to 12 hot Italian sausage links
- Cooked and sliced diagonally
- 3 stalks of celery sliced diagonally
- 1 large onion chopped into large pieces
- 2 large green peppers cut into large pieces
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 bag (900 grams or 32 ounces) rigatoni or penne pasta cooked and drained
- 1 (540-milliliter or 18-ounce) can of spicy red pepper stewed tomatoes
- 1 (796-milliliter or 28-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom of a large pot and sauté celery and onions for about 2 minutes.
- Add green peppers and continue to sauté for another minute. Add garlic.
- Add 1 can of spicy red pepper stewed tomatoes, thyme, basil, oregano, and crushed chili peppers.
- Let this simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and sausage. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to a simmer and let cook for about 45 minutes.
- When you are ready to eat, dish out pasta, and add your sausage sauce over the pasta.
- Serve with a salad and or bread.
© 2011 Susan Zutautas