One of Susan's passions is cooking and creating new recipes for family and friends.
After eating sausage and pepper penne at East Side Mario’s Restaurant (an Italian North American restaurant chain), I was a little bit disappointed with the amount of sausage that came in the dish for the amount of money that it cost.
Because I enjoyed the dish so much, I wanted to try to re-create it at home in my own kitchen. This way I could add as much sausage as I wanted. I am sure the following recipe is not exactly the same, as East Side Mario's was a bit spicier.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
Will serve 4–5 people.
- ½ tsp Thyme
- ½ tsp Basil
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Crushed Chili Peppers
- 10–12 Hot Italian Sausage Links
- Cooked and sliced diagonally
- 3 Stalks of Celery sliced diagonally
- 1 Large Onion chopped into large pieces
- 2 Large Green Peppers cut into large pieces
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1 Bag 900g (32 oz) Rigatoni or Penne Pasta cooked and drained
- 1 540ml (18 oz) can of spicy red pepper stewed tomatoes
- 1 796ml (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 TBS. Olive Oil
- Add 1 TBS. of olive oil to the bottom of a large pot and sauté celery and onions for about 2 minutes.
- Add green peppers and continue to sauté for another minute. Add garlic.
- Add 1 can of spicy red pepper stewed tomatoes, thyme, basil, oregano, and crushed chili peppers.
- Let this simmer for about ten minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and sausage. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to a simmer and let cook for about 45 minutes.
- When you are ready to eat, dish out pasta, and add your sausage sauce over the pasta.
- Serve with a salad and or bread.
© 2011 Susan Zutautas
Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on January 01, 2020:
Rebecca, It sure is :)
Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on December 31, 2019:
Stephanie, Homemade bread would be perfect. Happy New Year!
Rebecca Mealey from Northeastern Georgia, USA on December 30, 2019:
So great for a cold night!
Stephanie Henkel from USA on December 30, 2019:
I’ve been looking for some new ideas for pasta, and this looks so good! I’m thinking that some homemade bread would be perfect with it.
Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on April 03, 2011:
Sunrex thanks for reading and for your comments.
katrinasui please let me know how you like it.
katrinasui on March 27, 2011:
Hmm looks yummy. I love pasta so i will definitely give it a try.
Sunrex from Nigeria on March 21, 2011:
I love it so much.... Its my favourites.
Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on March 18, 2011:
Thanks Merlin that is your Focaccia bread recipe that I made to go along with it. Mind you your bread does look a lot better than mine does. I don't think I kneaded it as much as I should have. I always enjoy trying to make something that I enjoy at a restaurant and many times I end up liking the way I make it better.
Genna I went walking through this bakery yesterday that I love and could feel the pounds going on just from walking through it.
Chatkath please do let me know how you liked it.
poorconservative thanks so much!
Will hope your Focaccia turns out looking better than what mine did. Thanks for the vote up!
KKG If you like spicy you are sure to like this recipe.
Merlin Fraser from Cotswold Hills on March 18, 2011:
Great recipe idea.. I wouldn't worry too much that it doesn't follow the Restaurant version too closely, I would bet your version will be better and certainly better quality ingredients.
I love to dine out, and every now and again I find something that I want to copy, it's great fun and a nice challenge...
Genna East from Massachusetts, USA on March 18, 2011:
Oh dear....there goes the diet, again. Susan, I am gaining weight just reading this delicious hub. Great hub!
Kathy from California on March 18, 2011:
Susan- this looks and sounds soooo good! Thank you for a great dinner idea for tonight, I was just going to the store - luckily I decided to check my email first :D
I will let you know how it turns out!
poorconservative1 on March 17, 2011:
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you Up and Useful.
Susan Hazelton from Sunny Florida on March 17, 2011:
Susan, now I'm hungry. I'll have to go and try your recipe. It looks and sounds delicious.
WillStarr from Phoenix, Arizona on March 17, 2011:
This sounds great. I'll try it with the Focaccia bread recipe.
Up and useful!
poorconservative1 on March 17, 2011:
I get so hungry reading your Hubs... now I gotta go eat.