Spicy Pepper Penne Pasta With Sausage Recipe Like East Side Mario's
After eating sausage and pepper penne at East Side Mario’s Restaurant (an Italian North American restaurant chain), I was a little bit disappointed with the amount of sausage that came in the dish for the amount of money that it cost.
Because I enjoyed the dish so much, I wanted to try to re-create it at home in my own kitchen. This way I could add as much sausage as I wanted. I am sure the following recipe it is not exactly the same, as East Side Mario's was a bit spicier.
- ½ tsp Thyme
- ½ tsp Basil
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Crushed Chili Peppers
- 10 – 12 Hot Italian Sausage Links
- Cooked and sliced diagonally
- 3 Stalks of Celery sliced diagonally
- 1 Large Onion chopped into large pieces
- 2 Large Green Peppers cut into large pieces
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1 Bag 900g (32 oz) Rigatoni or Penne Pasta cooked and drained
- 1 540ml (18 oz) can of spicy red pepper stewed tomatoes
- 1 796ml (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 TBS. Olive Oil
- Add 1 TBS. of olive oil to the bottom of a large pot and sauté celery and onions for about 2 minutes.
- Add green peppers and continue to sauté for another minute. Add garlic.
- Add 1 can of spicy red pepper stewed tomatoes, thyme, basil, oregano and crushed chili peppers.
- Let this simmer for about ten minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and sausage. Bring to a boil then turn heat down to a simmer and let cook for about 45 minutes.
- When you are ready to eat, dish out pasta, and add your sausage sauce over the pasta.
- Serve with a salad and or bread.