Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 2 cups basmati rice, or long white rice soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ghee or oil, i used 1 1/2 teaspoons ghee and 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 2-3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- Whole garam masala 1 inch cinnamon stick, 1/2 mace, 3 green cardamom, and 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 4 cups water
- Wash Basmati rice and soak in freshwater for 20 minutes. Drain the water.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker bottom. Throw whole garam masala spices, cumin seeds, and bay leaf. Saute them on low fire for 20 seconds or until the cumin crackle.
- Add diced onion and slit green chilies. Saute till onion turns golden. Add soaked Basmati rice. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add 4 cups of water and salt. Let the mix boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Close the cooker with the lid. Place cooker weight. Cook on medium-high fire until one whistle. Open it when the pressure releases completely.
- Puff the rice with a fork. Gently mix. Transfer cumin rice to a serving bowl.
- Awesome cumin rice is ready to serve!! Serve it hot with pickle, yogurt, tomato sauce or with a spicy side dish. I served it with paneer makhani.