How to Make Cumin Rice or Jeera Rice
Cumin Rice or Jeera Rice
Cumin rice served with Paneer makhani
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready in: 30 min
Yields: Serves four people
- 2 cups Basmati rice, or long white rice soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ghee or oil, I used 1 1/2 tsp ghee+1/2 tsp oil
- 2-3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- Whole garam masala 1 inch cinnamon stick, 1/2 mace, 3 green cardamom, and 4 cloves,
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 4 cups water
Step-By-Step Guidelines and Images for Making Cumin Rice or Jeera Rice
- Wash Basmati rice and soak in fresh water for 20 minutes. Drain the water.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker bottom. Throw whole garam masala spices, cumin seeds, and bay leaf. Saute them on low fire for 20 seconds or till the cumin crackle.
- Add diced onion and slit green chilies. Saute till onion turns golden. Add soaked Basmati rice. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add 4 cups of water and salt. Let the mix boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Close the cooker with the lid. Place cooker weight. Cook on medium high fire till one whistle. Open it when the pressure releases completely.
- Puff the rice with a fork. Gently mix. Transfer cumin rice to a serving bowl.
- Awesome cumin rice is ready to serve!! Serve it hot with pickle, yogurt, tomato sauce or with a spicy side dish. I served it with paneer makhani.
Click thumbnail to view full-size
Step one: Keep the ingredients handy
Step two: Saute cumin, whole garam masala spices, and bay leaf in ghee or oil.
Step three: Add diced onions and green chilies. Continue sauteing.
Step four: Add soaked rice and salt. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
Step five: Mix well. Add water as directed
Step six: Let the rice boil for 3 minutes
Step seven: Cover the cooker lid and cook on medium high fire till one whistle.
Step eight: When the pressure releases completely, open the cooker lid and puff cumin rice with a fork
Step nine: Cumin rice or jeera rice is ready to serve.
Nutritional Information of Cumin Rice
|Serving size: 1 |
|Calories ||115 |
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 114 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change
depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been
professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|