Simple Fried Rice Recipe Using Four Leftovers
Fried rice is an easy-to-cook dish that is typically made with leftovers. There are countless variations of this dish, from traditional recipes to homemade creations. Fried rice is a popular street food in most Asian countries.
Today, I found four leftovers inside my refrigerator. They were steamed rice, sauteed corn kernels, carrots, and frozen cooked mushrooms (the carrots and mushrooms were left over from a previous meal). So I came up with the idea of making fried rice using these leftovers—plus a few pieces of my favorite breakfast meats. And now I'd like to share my affordable and delicious recipe for fried rice with leftovers. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups steamed rice
- 1/8 cup mushroom, cooked; cubed
- 3 tablespoons sauteed corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons carrots, cubed
- 1 hot dog, cubed
- 1 piece ham, cubed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- oil, for cooking
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 1 Large Bowl
- 5 Small Bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
For Cooking the Dish:
- Flipper Spatula
- Heat three tablespoons of oil in a pan. Stir fry hot dog and ham.
- Add carrots and mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Mix in corn kernels and rice.
- Season the fried rice with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until the rice is heated through.
Tips and Techniques
For Leftover Rice:
- Use leftover or a day-old fluffy rice. Leftover rice is easier to handle.
- Break up clumps of rice using your hands. This helps the rice cook evenly.
For Freshly Cooked Rice:
- Rinse the rice to remove some of its starch. This prevents the rice to become overly clumpy.
- Spread cooked rice in a pan or a baking sheet to let the moisture comes out.
- Allow the cooked rice to rest for at least 1 hour before using it for fried rice.
For Extra Flavor and Texture:
- Add your favorite seasoning mix to give an extra flavor to your fried rice.
- Toss in some scrambled egg to make it like Yangchow fried rice.
- Sprinkle chopped scallions on top for additional aroma, taste, and texture.
For Corn Kernels:
- Try my recipe for sauteed corn kernels.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan