Slow Cooker Three Cheese and Kale Manicotti
It's so easy to make Stuffed Manicotti in the Slow Cooker. Just prepare your filling, stuff the uncooked Manicotti noodles, and cover in tomato sauce. You don't even have to boil the noodles first. The noodles will slowly cook throughout the day and soak up the sauce until they are moist and full of flavour. I love how easy it is to fill the uncooked noodles. Trying to fill cooked noodles can be so frustrating. Make sure you don't use the oven-ready manicotti noodles. They're not as good and won't hold together well in the slow cooker.
The thing I love about Manicotti is how versatile it is. You can make it with ground beef or sausage, or you can make it as a vegetarian dish with a blend of cheeses. Plus, it's so easy to add healthy ingredients, like kale. Kale is so good for you, but most people don't eat it often because of its strong and bitter taste. This Three Cheese and Kale Manicotti recipe is one way you can cook with kale and guarantee it will taste delicious. You can also use spinach, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, or any of your favourite vegetables that you think might go well.
- 1 package manicotti noodles, (12 noodles)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, stir together half of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and eggs.
- Finely chop your fresh kale and add it to the cheese mixture. Add in the pressed garlic, italian seasoning, salt and pepper and mix until blended.
- Add the mixture to a piping bag. If you don't have a piping bag, you can use a ziplock bag and cut off the corner.
- Fill your uncooked manicotti noodles using the piping bag or ziplock bag.
- First, put a layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of your slow cooker. Then add your stuffed manicotti and cover them in the remaining tomato sauce. It is best not to do multiple layers of manicotti on top of each other. It will be harder to get them out when they're cooked. For this reason you will need a fairly big slow cooker.
- Put the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 20 to 30 minutes before you are ready to serve your manicotti, top it with the other half of your shredded mozzarella cheese. Put the lid back on your slow cooker and let the cheese fully melt.