I love making delicious recipes and sharing them with others.
Pasta salad is both delicious and economical. It can be created using one or more types of pasta. It is often served chilled as an appetizer, as a side dish, or as a main course.
A pasta salad is often thought to be a spring or summertime dish or meal, but because of its tremendous versatility, it can be served year round. This dish can be as simple as cold pasta and mayonnaise (Miracle Whip is often used), or it can include any number of ingredients like olives, cheese, vegetables, nuts, herbs and spices, meats, seafood, and/or legumes. Other dressing options include ingredients such as oils, vinegar, lemon juice, and fresh herbs.
- 12 oz. vermicelli or spaghetti
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced, including greens
- 3/4 cup Spanish olives with pimientos, sliced or pieces
- 3-4 - 1 1/2 cup Miracle Whip, per taste and creaminess
- 3/4 t. seasoning salt, or to taste
- 3/4 t. paprika, or to taste
- 3/4 t. salt, or to taste
- Prepare pasta per package directions. I must admit, I like to break the pasta into four pieces before preparing it. It makes it easier to eat. (I am not Italian and do not do the fork swirling thing very well, and the other ingredients tend to fall off.) I break it while still in the bag by pressing part of it over the edge of the counter. I do this 3 times along the length of the pasta, breaking each strand into four pieces.
- While pasta is cooking, combine lemon juice and olive oil.
- Combine seasoning salt, paprika, and salt.
- Clean and prepare green onions. Slice onions and be sure to include the greens.
- Chop celery. To make the pieces small, I first cut the celery stalk length-wise 2-4 times, then slice across those pieces.
- Drain pasta after cooking time has elapsed. Immediately stir in oil and lemon juice.
- Measure out olives.
- Add celery, sliced onions, and green olives. Mix well.
- Add Miracle Whip, salt, and paprika mixture. Mix well.
- Garnish with leftover olives and pimentos as desired.
- Tastes good warm or cold. Serve and enjoy!