Spiced Cabbage Rice Recipe
Spiced Cabbage Rice
It's Similar to Kimchi Rice But Better
For making spiced cabbage rice, you have to cook some rice, and then set it aside to cool. You can use any variety of white rice for making this dish.
Next, heat some oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in whole garam masala spices like bay leaf, cinnamon stick, a few cloves, mace, etc. Saute on low fire (along with cumin seeds) till you get a nice aroma from the spices. Add crushed ginger-garlic, chopped onions, and slit green chilies. Continue sauteing till onions turn golden. Throw in chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook till tomatoes become soft.
Now, add finely chopped cabbage. Keep the heat medium-high. Add some salt. Stir-cook for 7-8 minutes, or till cabbage becomes tender yet is still crunchy. Add coriander powder, a bit of garam masala powder, and red chili powder. Mix well. Cook on low fire for a minute.
Add cooked rice. Throw in remaining salt. Gently mix the masala with rice. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Pour a teaspoon of ghee (optional). Once the spices blend nicely with the rice, turn off the fire.
Spiced cabbage rice is ready to serve! Eat it with cucumber-onion raita on the side. This dish tastes like the spicier version of cabbage fried rice.
Ingredients for Making Spiced Cabbage Rice
- 1 1/2 cup white raw rice, cooked al dente
- 1 heaped bowl cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- whole garam masala spices, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 1 mace, 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 3 garlic
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tsp ghee, optional, for nice flavor, I added
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spiced Cabbage Rice:
- Cook rice al dente. Keep aside for cooling.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds, and whole garam masala spices like bay leaf, cinnamon stick, mace, cloves etc. Saute on low fire till you get a nice aroma from the spices.
- Add chopped onions, slit green chilies, and crushed ginger-garlic. Saute till onions turn golden.
- Throw in chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook till they become tender but not mushy.
- Add finely chopped cabbage. Continue stir-cooking for 7-8 minutes or till cabbage turns tender and still retains crunchiness.
- Throw in coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well. Stir-cook for a while.
- Add cooked rice. Gently mix it with the masala and the veggies. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Pour a teaspoon of ghee(optional). Just mix the contents. Turn off the fire.
- Spiced cabbage rice is ready to serve! Eat it with cucumber-onion raita. Enjoy eating this healthy and delicious rice dish!
Nutritional Information of Spiced Cabbage Rice
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 43 mg||14%|
|Sodium 260 mg||11%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|