Quaker Oats Recipes - Strawberry Oat Squares
Rate this Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Quaker Oats, uncooked
- 1 and 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 jar (18 oz) Smucker's Strawberry Preserves
Home Made Strawberry and Oatmeal Bars
These home made bars taste delicious. Imagine a yummy oatmeal cookie with a strawberry filling or a piece of strawberry pie with a yummy brown sugar and oat crumble. These strawberry bars remind my taste buds of a variety of my favorite desserts. This dessert squares recipe is also so simple that you'll find yourself making this dessert treat regularly. It's foolproof and the kids can help too.
What are Strawberry Preserves?
How are strawberry preserves different from strawberry jam or strawberry jelly?
- Strawberry jelly is made from the fruity juice of strawberries.
- Strawberry jam is made from the pulp of crushed strawberries.
- Strawberry preserves contain chunks of strawberries and syrup or jam.
Which do you prefer?See results without voting
Buy delicious strawberry preserves online:
Strawberry Oatmeal BarsClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until mixed well.
- In separate larger bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Gradually add dry mix, stirring well. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 7-8 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and spread preserves over crust. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top. Bake 20-25 minutes or until crumble topping is golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
Oats and Strawberries
Tips for Baking Strawberry Bars
- When all of my ingredients are almost mixed together, I like to finish combining the mixture by hand. Wash your hands and coat with a little shortening or oil. Kneed and squish your crumbly mixture with your hands to evenly distribute all the ingredients. This saves time and wasted energy with an electric mixer or an unhelpful spoon.
- If you're not a fan of those fruit chunks, don't worry. By the time your squares are done baking, the fruit pieces have melted. When you remove your pan from the oven, the strawberry preserves will be bubbling hot. You won't bite into a bar and get a large strawberry piece-- trust me.
- Use your favorite flavor of fruit preserves or experiment combining two kinds in the same dessert.
Easy Oatmeal Squares
A lot of people ask me how I have time or energy to do as much cooking and baking as I do. Recipes for desserts like these oatmeal squares definitely make it easy. This dessert uses simple ingredients that aren't hard to find in the grocery store and more importantly are everyday items that I usually have on hand. This recipe is ready in no time at all because it doesn't entail too many steps. Like many other people out there, I sometimes won't bake because I hate the cleanup required. These oat squares don't make a mess. Baking quick and easy treats like these enable me to have more time and the energy to spend it on whatever I want. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
More Uncooked Oats Recipes
- Cherry Craisin Oat Bars
A healthy snack I whipped up that tastes good and is good for you. These bars are faster to make and yummier than cookies or cupcakes.
More by this Author
Quick meals don't have to taste "rushed." This casserole is one of the yummiest dinners I can make-- and I don't have to slave all day. In a mere twenty minutes you have a satisfying meal made from a few easy...
Quick and easy recipe for a delicious pasta salad. This dish is packed full of flavor, color, and texture. Perfect for spring and summer meals.
Italian cooking doesn't have to be complicated or take all day. Made from basic ingredients and basic spices, this easy meatball recipe is full of flavor and compliments pasta dishes. Yummy!