The Creamiest Macaroni and Cheese Ever
Rate This Recipe
Cream cheese helps to thicken this sauce instead of flour. The cheeses you select are important. Try to stick to easy-melting varieties. I prefer to buy blocks of cheese and shred it myself. Freshly shredded cheese makes a creamier sauce. A food processor makes shredding cheese a breeze.
So creamy and delicious!
- 16 oz Elbow Macaroni, Cooked al dente in salted water
- 10 oz Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 6 oz Gouda Cheese, Shredded
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 6 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
- To Taste Salt and Black Pepper
- Melt the butter over low heat in a 5qt Dutch oven.
- Cut up the cream cheese up, and add it to the butter, stirring rapidly until the cream cheese starts to melt.
- Add the milk and cream, and continue to stir constantly.
- Begin slowly adding the shredded cheeses by the handful, stirring as they melt.
- When the sauce is almost smooth, add the cooked macaroni and stir for another minute to finish melting the cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste. *I did not have to add any salt, so be sure to taste first.
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Melissa Althen