Melissa is a certified food scientist with over 20 years in the food industry. New food development and matching are her specialties.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni, eooked al dente in salted water
- 10 ounces Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces gouda cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter over low heat in a 5 quart Dutch oven.
- Cut up the cream cheese up, and add it to the butter, stirring rapidly until the cream cheese starts to melt.
- Add the milk and cream, and continue to stir constantly.
- Begin slowly adding the shredded cheeses by the handful, stirring as they melt.
- When the sauce is almost smooth, add the cooked macaroni and stir for another minute to finish melting the cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste. *I did not have to add any salt, so be sure to taste first.
What Makes This Recipe Different
- Cream cheese helps to thicken this sauce instead of flour.
- The cheeses you select are important. Try to stick to easy-melting varieties. I prefer to buy blocks of cheese and shred it myself. Freshly shredded cheese makes a creamier sauce.
- A food processor makes shredding cheese a breeze.
Rate This Recipe
© 2017 Melissa Althen