Poppy was first taught to cook by her father when she was seventeen. Now she experiments with various recipes from all over the world.
Meatballs and pasta is a classic dish from Italy that is popular around the world—a favorite of restaurants and ideal for home cooking on a busy weekday night. Because of its flexibility, you will find a large variety between the flavor of the meatballs and the pasta sauce as well as the vegetables and other ingredients.
This recipe will provide you with a spicy and nutritious tomato-based sauce and herby meatballs stuffed with cheese. Add it to penne, fusilli, or spaghetti for a filling and satisfying meal.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500g minced beef
- 100g cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon herbs (thyme, basil, oregano)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 (400g) can diced or plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon dried or fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, coriander, parsley)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- (Optional) 1/2 tablespoon spices (chili pepper, habenero powder, chili powder, and Tabasco sauce are all good choices)
- (Optional) Parmesan cheese for serving
- 1 red bell pepper (1/2 a red pepper and 1/2 yellow pepper work, too)
- 4-6 small white mushrooms, sliced
- Your favourite pasta or spaghetti
- Prepare a large plate and slice the cheese into fingernail-sized pieces.
- Add the beef and the beaten egg along with salt, pepper, and about half a teaspoon each of the herbs into a large bowl. Mix the ingredients together using your hands.
- Take a small portion of the meat and flatten it onto your palm. Use one of the pieces of cheese and press it into the middle of the meat. Then roll it until it is a sphere shape with the cheese inside.
- Repeat for the rest of the meat until you have a pile of meatballs on the plate. Set aside.
- Add half the olive oil to a pan and bring it to medium heat. Add the diced onions and garlic and mix with a wooden spoon until the onions turn soft.
- Add the can of tomatoes, vegetables, herbs, and spices and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust to your liking. Adjust to low heat.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Meanwhile, prepare a new pan and heat with the rest of the olive oil on medium-low heat. Add the meatballs so all of them are touching the bottom of the pan (you may need to do this in batches). Brown the outside of all of the meatballs and then add them to the sauce.
- Mix now and then, being careful not to break the meatballs. After around 10 minutes, the meat will be cooked with the cheese melted inside.
- Drain the pasta and serve with the meatballs and sauce on top. Add Parmesan cheese (optional) and serve hot.
With an herby taste and satisfyingly cheesy bites in the meatballs, this quick and easy dish will quickly become a family favorite! Love this dish? Comment below!
© 2018 Poppy