Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee.
The other day I was rooting through my kitchen cupboards, trying to find something to make for dinner. My eyes landed on a generic box of macaroni and cheese, and I thought to myself that homemade, gooey, and cheesy macaroni and cheese sounds amazing! I had an entire package of egg noodles sitting there. I quickly searched the rest of the kitchen and determined that I had enough ingredients to give it a shot. My original plan was to simply boil the noodles, and then add the shredded cheese to them. But after a moment, I realized that wouldn't turn out the way I wanted.
I opened up my secret family recipe book and found the perfect solution. This recipe was simple and easy to follow. About an hour later, we had delicious homemade macaroni and cheese. It was good, so much so that my little family ate almost the entire pan.
This is a great dish as a main meal or as a side. Not only is this recipe great for dinner at home, but it would be a wonderful option to whip up for a potluck or get-together. It doesn't take much effort, and within an hour, you'll have delicious, cheesy, and gooey macaroni and cheese just like grandma used to make! I will warn you, after you make this, you won't want to bother with generic box mac and cheese ever again.
- 2 Cups Uncooked Macaroni, Any uncooked noodles will do. I used egg noodles.
- 1/2 Cup Butter or Margerine, Country Crock tastes best.
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese, Any cheese is fine. I used mild cheddar.
- Buttered Bread Crumbs, Optional.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves six people
Steps 1 - 5
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
3. In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter.
4. Add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
5. Stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Cook until smooth and thickened.
Read More From Delishably
Steps 6 and 7
6. Combine white sauce and macaroni.
7. Pour into a greased 11 x 7 casserole dish.
8. Top with buttered bread crumbs if desired. To make your own, toast two pieces of bread. Lightly butter. Slowly rub the two pieces of toast together over top of the macaroni until they start to crumble. Spread pieces of toast over the macaroni.
9. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the macaroni.
10. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
Serve as a side or main dish. To switch it up, you might top macaroni with salted potato chips.
© 2017 Alyssa
Alyssa (author) from Ohio on August 12, 2017:
Hahahahaha! It was very good! :)
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on August 12, 2017:
Sign me up, please. Just send it to me now, please. Notice I'm saying please!!!!! I love me mac n cheese....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!