Filipino Oven-Toaster Baked Macaroni
How to Cook Oven Toaster Baked Macaroni
I've been craving for baked macaroni for days now. Fortunately, I was able to convince my husband to buy the ingredients I need for my "Oven-Toaster Baked Macaroni." No, it's not the popular American Mac'nCheese. It's a Filipino party favorite, a pasta dish made with elbow macaroni that's tossed in meaty, tomato-based sauce and topped with creamy, cheesy white sauce. Yum! Here is my recipe for it. Enjoy! Since we don't have an oven here, I used an oven toaster instead to "bake" this dish.
Ingredients for Tomato Meat Sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking oil/butter
- 1/4 kg ground beef
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 pc green bell pepper (cubed)
- 1 small can (198g) button mushroom (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup Sweet StyleSpaghetti Sauce or tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp basil leaves (dried)
- 1/4 tbsp oregano leaves (dried)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- beef bouillon cube
For this particular recipe, I used 250 grams elbow macaroni and Quickmelt cheese for the topping.
Ingredients for White Sauce (Mornay Sauce)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 c or 250 ml tetra pack fresh milk
- 3/4 c water
- half beef bouillon cube
Cook the elbow macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and set aside. (*Note: If you are using a real oven, undercook the pasta for about 5 minutes. It'll have enough time to get fully cooked when you bake it later in the oven. As for me, since I used an oven toaster, I boiled it for only 8 minutes to become "al dente" and not soggy. Who likes soggy pasta anyway? Well, I don't!)
Tomato Meat Sauce:
- In a hot cooking pot, sauté garlic in cooking oil or butter, add onion then ground beef, basil leaves, oregano leaves and beef cube. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Then, throw in the mushrooms and bell peppers. Cook for at least 3 minutes more.
- Add water. Let it boil for 5 minutes, then add tomato paste and tomato sauce. Add sugar, salt, pepper. Stir well and cover the pot. Let it simmer while stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until it reduce into a thick consistency.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
White Sauce (Mornay Sauce):
- In a bowl, combine water, milk, crushed beef cube, pepper and a dash of nutmeg. Set aside.
- Melt butter over low heat in a non-stick saucepan. Stir in flour until well incorporated and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn it. It should be yellowish, NOT brownish!
- Now, slowly add the milk/water mixture into the flour/butter mixture while stirring. Continue to stir until it turns thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toss the cooked pasta into the tomato meat sauce until every piece is well-coated.
- On a baking pan (*in my case, I used 2 small rectangular aluminum trays), arrange a layer of elbow macaroni with meat sauce, cover with white sauce, and then top with grated cheese. Repeat to make two layers. If you're using a deeper dish, you can go ahead and make three layers.
- Bake for 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 mins. (oven) or 15 mins. (turbo) or 4-6 mins. (oven toaster).
- Let it set for at least 10 minutes before slicing. Best served with garlic bread on the side.
Cooking Baked Macaroni Using Oven Toaster
To make it meatier, you can add smoked meat like bacon, pepperoni, or smoked ham! Or, if you want a healthy version, use canned tuna instead of ground beef. You can even add some carrots or spinach!