How to Make a Fruit Kabob Turkey for Thanksgiving
Have your Thanksgiving centerpiece and eat it too!
An Edible Centerpiece for Thanksgiving
Make a clever rainbow fruit kabob turkey to wow your guests this year. This centerpiece also makes a great fresh fruit side, or a wonderful item to bring to your holiday office party. Give yourself and your guests a chance to get a healthy dose of fiber and disease-fighting antioxidants—and help fight off some of the inflammation you're sure to get from that pumpkin pie and egg nog.
Even kids that don’t really relish fruit will be begging for a “turkey feather”! Get them involved in making your edible centerpiece. It's a great way to spend quality time with them.
How It All Comes Together
- Body: Easy-to-make, delicious chocolate fruit dip in a bowl
- Feathers: fruit kabobs
- Head: crunchy pear
- Eyes: blueberries skewered into mini marshmallows with toothpicks
- Beak: orange wedge
- Snood: pointy ends of strawberries
- Wattle: crispy red apple slice
- Legs: carrot strips
- Feet: orange wedges
He will be almost too cute to eat!
Step 1: Gather Ingredients and Materials
You'll need the following ingredients and materials:
- assorted fruit (grapes, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, cantaloupe)
- wooden skewers
- 1 pear
- 2 blueberries
- 2 mini marshmallows
- 1 orange
- carrot strips
- 1 pear
- endive (optional, for grass)
- small glass bowl
- chocolate dip (easy recipe below)
Step 2: Assemble the Feathers (Fruit Kabobs)
- Skewer 3 grapes and push to about 1 inch from the end.
- Add pineapple chunks, kiwi and strawberry slices, and cantaloupe chunks.
- Top with 3 grapes in a smaller size for the “feather tips.”
(10-12 skewers of fruit will make a turkey with a full spread of feathers.)
Step 3: Assemble the Head
- Using toothpicks, attach the apple slice, orange slice, mini-marshmallows, blueberries, and strawberries to the pear to resemble the turkey's features.
- Attach the head to the middle skewer. This skewer will need less fruit.
Step 4: Make the Body (Chocolate Fruit Dip)
This easy recipe uses only three ingredients!
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 package softened cream cheese
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- Melt chocolate morsels.
- Mix with cream cheese and Cool Whip.
Alternatively, if you'd prefer not to make chocolate dip, you can any other dip you choose.
Step 5: Add the Legs, Feet, and Grass
- Use the carrot sticks for the turkey's legs.
- Add two more orange slices for the feet.
- Add some green endive grass.
Turkey Fruit Kabobs Health Benefits
- Antioxidants, copper, iron, manganese, vitamins C and K, carotenes, B-complex.
- May help protect against certain cancers, heart disease, and Alzheimer's.
- Anthocyanins, ellagic acid, quercetin, vitamin C
- May help promote a healthy brain, reduce forgetfulness, and protect against cancer and heart disease.
- Folate, carotenoids,
- Helps promote healthy growth and cell maintenance. May help prevent anemia.
- Rich in vitamin C, potassium, prebiotics,
- Helps muscle contract, prevents "charlie horse," helps the body fight germs and aids in the digestion of food.
- Vitamins C and A, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese
- Helps promote strong bones and healthy gums. Fights off colds and flu, may help fight against eye disease when older.