Carla is a freelance writer who enjoys writing about food and sharing her recipes with others.
Pumpkin pie is a staple at many Thanksgiving tables. I have never been a huge fan. One day, my girlfriend brought me a slice of her pumpkin torte with its buttery graham cracker crust and cream cheese layer, and it was divine. It has since become a favorite Thanksgiving dessert for me to whip up. Do you need an alternative to pumpkin pie? Try the recipe below.
- 1 1/2 C Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 C Margarine/Butter
- 1/3 C & 3/4 C & 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 C Milk
- 2 Beaten Eggs
- 2 C Pumpkin
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Package Unflavored gelatin (Knox)
- 1/4 C Cold Water
- 3 Egg Whites
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- To make the graham cracker bottom, add 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs to 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Melt margarine, add sugar and crumbs. Press into 13" x 9 " pan.
- For the cream cheese layer add 8 oz cream cheese, 3/4 cup granulated sugar,1/2 cup milk and 2 beaten eggs. Cream cream cheese and sugar. Add milk gradually, beat in eggs. Pour over crust and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool.
- For the pumpkin layerAdd 2 cups of canned pumpkin, 3 egg yolks, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin (Knox) and 1/2 cup cold water Cook everything except gelatin and water over medium heat until cooked through. Remove from heat and add 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin which has been dissolved in 1/2 cup of cold water. Cool.
- Fold into pumpkin mixture 3 egg whites beaten with 1/4 cup of water until stiff. Pour over cream cheese mixture.
- Spread top with 16 oz. Cool White. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Can be made a day ahead.
What Is Knox Gelatin?
Knox gelatin is a very specific kind of gelatin. It works differently than most. You can probably use regular gelatin, but I suggest reading more about this and then deciding.
Rate this Recipe!
Carla J Swick (author) from NW PA on March 06, 2014:
Oh, please do BK, it's so light and fluffy, it's worth the steps. Thanks for reading.
Brenda Thornlow from New York on March 05, 2014:
This sounds so good! I love anything pumpkin. Definitely want to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!
Carla J Swick (author) from NW PA on January 11, 2014:
It's delicious! A nice alternative - thanks for the read. I hope you give it a try sometime. Thanks Teaches - cjb
Dianna Mendez on January 11, 2014:
Oh my, do you deliver? What a beautiful dessert and I love it! Thanks for sharing this yummy idea.
Carla J Swick (author) from NW PA on January 09, 2014:
Thank you, Ms. Dora - this recipe has served me well and it's delicious!!! It's worth passing on. - cjbehr
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on January 09, 2014:
Thank you for this recipe with good instructional recipes. I'm saving it and sharing it.