How to Make a Pumpkin Torte
Pumpkin pie is a staple at many Thanksgiving tables. I have never been a huge fan. One day my girlfriend brought me a slice of her pumpkin torte with its buttery graham cracker crust and cream cheese layer; it was divine. It has since become a favorite Thanksgiving dessert for me to whip up.
Do you need an alternative to pumpkin pie? Then see the steps below.
Rate this Recipe!
- 1 1/2 C Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 C Margarine/Butter
- 1/3 C & 3/4 C & 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 C Milk
- 2 Beaten Eggs
- 2 C Pumpkin
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Package Unflavored gelatin (Knox)
- 1/4 C Cold Water
- 3 Egg Whites
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- Make graham cracker bottom: Add 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs to 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Melt margarine, add sugar and crumbs. Press into 13" x 9 " pan.
- Cream cheese layer: Add 8 oz cream cheese, 3/4 cup granulated sugar,1/2 cup milk and 2 beaten eggs. Cream cream cheese and sugar. Add milk gradually, beat in eggs. Pour over crust and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool.
- Pumpkin layer: Add 2 cups of canned pumpkin, 3 egg yolks, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 envelope of unflavored gelaton (Knox) and 1/2 cup cold water Cook everything except gelatin and water over medium heat until cooked through. Remove from heat and add 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin which has been dissolved in 1/2 cup of cold water. Cool.
- Fold into Pumpkin mixture 3 egg whites beaten with 1/4 cup of water until stiff. Pour over cream cheese mixture.
- Topping: Spread top with 16 oz. Cool White. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Can be made a day ahead.
What Is Knox Gelatin?
Knox gelatin is a very specific kind of gelatin. It works differently than most. You can probably use regular gelatin, but I suggest reading more about this and then deciding.