Franken Berry Halloween Cupcakes
Rate this Recipe!
It's Franken Berry Time!
I'm a sucker for anything strawberry-flavored—especially delicious treats that remind me of being a kid. I also have special spots in my heart for autumn and Halloween.
While doing some Halloween shopping recently, I grabbed all five flavors of the General Mills monster cereals. Instead of just plowing through each box like everyday cereal, I challenged myself to include each of the five flavors in five different recipes as part of my Halloween baking. I was also eager to create a unique batch of Halloween cupcakes that I hadn't made or seen before.
I decided to add some strawberry Franken Berry cereal to my cupcake batter recently, and I loved everything about the final product. These cupcakes were a blast to make, decorate, and bring to life. I felt a little like Dr. Frankenstein as my plan was coming together—especially when I gave each sweet little cupcake its own monstrous eyeball.
If you're looking for Halloween cupcake ideas that are unique, give these little monsters a try! This Halloween recipe will save you some time and money without sacrificing flavor or creativity.
Fun Halloween Baking Ideas with Cereal
Where Can I Find FrankenBerry Cereal?
You'll have to act fast because these seasonal cereals are only made and sold during the Halloween season. I bought my General Mills monster cereals at my local Target. I've seen them carried at traditional Target stores as well as the Super Targets with grocery sections. You can usually find your monster cereal in the Halloween section. I often see it displayed on an endcap or sometimes up front by the registers. You can also buy online. Franken Berry
Did You Know?
Franken Berry Cereal was first introduced in 1971 and was the first strawberry-flavored cereal. It included marshmallows due to the previous success of Lucky Charms (debuted in 1964).
General Mills Monster-Themed Breakfast Cereals
What's Your Favorite Monster Cereal?
Simple Halloween Cupcakes
- 1 boxed white cake mix, (and ingredients listed on box)
- 3 cups Franken Berry cereal, crushed
- 16 ounces strawberry frosting
Halloween Party Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare cake per instructions on box.
- Crush 3 cups of Franken Berry cereal in to crumbs and add to batter. Mix well.
- Fill cupcake pan with liners and fill each liner 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350° F, or as instructed on cake mix box. Remove from oven and cool on racks. Frost and decorate as desired.
Have you ever made cupcakes with cereal? Leave a comment and share your experience.
Tips for the Best Halloween Cupcakes
- Add your favorite Halloween cereal to your favorite cupcake mix. Have fun naming your Halloween cupcake creations.
- Crush your cereal using a large Ziploc bag and rolling pin. If you're out of large Ziploc bags (like I was), crush your cereal in the bag it came in. Pour all of the cereal into a large bowl, measure, and pour three cups into the empty bag and crush.
- The marshmallow bits easily crush into crumbs like the rest of the cereal but you can omit them if you prefer.
- Foil-lined cupcake papers prevent color from bleeding through light-colored paper designs. If your papers are not foil-lined, simply use a plain foil paper tucked inside the decorative one.
- Ensure cupcakes are completely cool before frosting otherwise your frosting will melt.
- Save marshmallows for decorating the tops of your cupcakes.
Fun Halloween Treats
Spooky Halloween Cupcakes
Do you Bake for the Halloween Season? Leave me a comment telling me what's your favorite thing to make for Halloween.
I love to make cupcakes from scratch but I also enjoy taking a break sometimes! Holiday baking can be stressful, especially if you're planning and hosting a party. Sometimes you need all the shortcuts you can get. This recipe enhances a regular box mix while laying the foundation for an awesome Halloween themed dessert. Kids will love crushing the cereal and decorating Halloween cupcakes that are as unique as Frankenstein's monster.