Jan has been cooking and writing about food for over 20 years. She has cooked on multiple television stations, including the Food Network.
Fabulous Homemade Eggnog
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup whisky or bourbon, optional
- After separating the eggs, place the whites in the bowl of an electric mixer, and place the yolks in a medium saucepan.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar to the egg whites and beat them until soft peaks form. Be patient, this can take a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1/3 cup of sugar to the egg yolks, and whisk well to combine. Turn heat to medium, and add the milk, whisking well, then the cream, again, whisking well.
- Whisk in the pinch of salt and nutmeg. Cook the milk/cream mixture until a candy thermometer reaches 170F, about ten minutes or so. Don't let the mixture come to a boil, or otherwise it could curdle or 'break'. Also, keep whisking. Sugar and cream can scorch quickly, and if it does, you'll have to toss it. Just be patient, and you'll have great results.
- Remove the mixture from heat once it reaches 170F. You can cool it quickly by submerging the pan in cold water and stirring for several minutes. Or just pour it into a container and stick it in the fridge for several hours.
- Once compleltey chilled, stir the egg whites into the cream mixture, whisking well. If you'd like to spike your eggnog, stir the bourbon or whisky in at this point.
- To serve, simply pour into mugs and top with a little more freshly grated nutmeg. That's all there is to it!
Read More From Delishably
Ready to Serve!
© 2017 Jan Charles