Homemade Marshmallow Ghosts
These Adorable Marshmallow Ghosts Will Steal the Show
Homemade treats are such fun to make, and these little ghosts are a perfect example. Your Halloween party will be a hit when you serve these homemade marshmallow ghosts.
These are delicious on their own—and if you'd like, you can add flavorings to change them up. Vanilla extract is wonderful, but try almond for a change of pace.
Using half of a chocolate sandwich cookie for a base is easy, and it makes these little ghosts simple to move around if you need to. But you could also pipe them directly onto the top of a cupcake or pipe several onto the top of a cake. I personally have no decorating skill whatsoever, so I take the simple shortcut of using the cookies as a base.
Try these simple goodies and you'll fall in love with them—despite their slightly grumpy faces!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, separated
- miniature chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, almond extract or flavoring of your choice (optional)
- Place about an inch of water in the bottom of a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Place sugar and egg whites into a glass bowl, and place the bowl over simmering water. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar together, over heat, until the sugar fully dissolves, and egg whites turn white and frothy about five minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat, and begin whisking egg whites with an electric mixer, until stiff peaks form and whites are glossy. Be patient - this takes about ten minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag, and pipe ghosts onto cookie halves. Use miniature chocolate chips for eyes and mouths.
Serve the ghosts as is, or use them as decorations for other treats.
Whisk Over Simmering Water...
Remove from Heat
Stiff, Glossy Peaks
Sandwich Cookie Halves
Transfer Mixture to a Piping Bag
Pipe Out Ghosts
Use Mini Chocolate Chips
Use Anyway You Like!
Super Cute and Easy Homemade Marshmallow Ghosts
© 2017 Jan Charles