Pistachio Shamrock Cookies for St. Patrick's Day
A Family Favorite
I have had this cookie recipe for many years and have made it often for St. Patrick's Day celebrations.
These shamrock cookies look festive, are easy to make, and are good to eat, too. The pistachio pudding gives the cookies a green color and pistachio flavor, and the green icing on top gives them a wonderfully festive finish.
I hope you enjoy them!
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (3 1/2-oz) package instant pistachio pudding mix, dry
- 1 1/3 cups baking mix (e.g., Jiffy Mix or Bisquick)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- In a bowl, cream together the margarine or butter with the dry pudding mix.
- Blend in the baking mix, egg, and sugar until well mixed.
- Roll out the cookie batter on a lightly floured board to 3/8" thickness and cut with a shamrock cookie cutter.
- Place cut-out cookies on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes or until lightly browned at edges.
- Cool on wire racks. Frost with icing when cool. You may also sprinkle with green sugar if desired.
Once the cookies have cooled, it's time to ice them.
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, unsifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Green food coloring
- Green sugar (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the sugar, milk, and vanilla until well combined.
- Tint the mixture with green food coloring.
- Optional: Sprinkle frosted cookies with green sugar, if desired.
Shamrock Cookie Cutters
© 2010 Leona J Atkinson