I love cooking and enjoy writing about my kitchen adventures as well as general family health.
A Graveyard Smash: Kid-Friendly Halloween Drinks
Getting ready for a ghoulish affair? Make your party one to remember with one of these spooky Halloween punch recipes and drink ideas. Learn how to make:
- Black Halloween Punch: Orange and grape drink mix and ginger ale
- Severed Floating Hand: A delightfully spooky ice cube you can add to any drink
- Bloody Bug Halloween Punch: Frozen strawberries, lemonade concentrate, Sprite, raisins, and blueberries
- Witch's Brew Punch: Spices, cider, orange juice concentrate, and ginger ale
- Green Ghoulade Punch: Lemonade concentrate, Sprite, Gatorade, and whipped cream
- Ghastly Garnishes: Snacks and candies you can use to garnish any drink
Feel free to post other ideas for festive drinks, or about how these drinks turned out for you, in the comment section below.
1. Black Halloween Punch
Black Halloween punch is made with orange and grape drinks mixes as well as ginger ale.
- 1/4 oz grape unsweetened drink mix
- 1/4 oz orange unsweetened drink mix
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 liter ginger ale
- 3 quarts cold water
- Combine grape drink mix, orange drink mix, and sugar in a large punch bowl. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Add chilled ginger ale before serving.
You can also add food coloring before freezing for spookier treat. Green, purple, or black all make excellent choices. The combined colors make a spooky treat for kids and adults. Finally add the frozen hand (recipe below) to the punch bowl for a horrifying effect. Enjoy your frightening punch!
2. Severed Floating Hand
This severed floating hand makes for delightfully spooky ice cube you can float a punch bowl with any of these recipes.
- Non-latex gloves or disposable gloves. You can get these at your local pharmacy or the cleaning section of your grocery store.
- Rubber band
- Wash the glove and fill it with water.
- Seal the glove with a rubber band and freeze until hard. It takes about 24 hours.
- Dip the frozen hand in warm water and peel off the glove.
You can also get creative by playing around with food coloring or juice. You can use red for a bloody hand or green for a Frankenstein effect. If you are adding anything for color, be sure to do so before freezing the hand.
3. Bloody Bug Halloween Punch
Bloody bug punch combines frozen strawberries, lemonade concentrate, Sprite, and fruit for a deliciously pulpy effect.
- 24 oz frozen strawberries, thawed
- 6 oz frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1 quart Sprite
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup blueberries
- Add the thawed strawberries to a large bowl. Begin mashing them with a fork to create the "blood."
- Now add the lemonade concentrate and Sprite and mix well.
- Divide the raisins and blueberries into four tall glasses—these will be your "bugs."
- Pour the punch liquid into each glass and watch the bloody bugs rise to the top. This is a great recipe for kids.
Note: If you are making this punch hours ahead of time, mix your strawberries and lemonade concentrate and leave the mixture in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Add the Sprite immediately before serving and stir well. If you add the Sprite too early, it will lose some of its carbonation.
4. Witch's Brew Punch
Witch's brew punch combines spices, cider, orange juice concentrate, and ginger ale for an eerily layered drink.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 quarts cider
- 2 six-ounce cans orange juice concentrate (these are in the frozen section)
- 1 quart ginger ale
- Add cider, cinnamon, allspice, sugar in a saucepan. Mix them over a low flame until the sugar dissolves.
- If you have made the drink ahead of time, store the cider mixture in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Add the chilled ginger ale before serving.
- You can add gummy snake candies to each glass for an extra-festive effect.
5. Green Ghoulade Punch
Green ghoulade punch is Gatorade with lemonade concentrate, Sprite, and whipped cream—all things the kids are sure to enjoy.
- 2 (6-ounce) cans lemonade frozen concentrate, thawed
- 3 cups Sprite
- 3 1/2 cups Gatorade
- Whipped cream for topping
- Green food coloring
- Add the lemonade, Gatorade, and Sprite to a large bowl and stir well.
- Add a few drops of food coloring until you get your desired shade of green.
- Add ice and a small scoop of whipped cream in each glass. Your ghoulade is ready to drink.
6. Ghastly Garnishes
Depending on the garnish, you can place these on the edge of your glass, skewer them on sticks you prop inside of each cup, or place them on a napkin beside each drink. Hopefully this gives you some sinister ideas:
- Owl eyes: baby marshmallows
- Cat eyes: jelly beans
- Butterfly wings: Fritos
- Earthworms: gummy worms or cheese curls
- Bat bones: pretzels
- Colored flies: M&Ms
- Chicken toenails: candy corn
You can also freeze candy garnishes so that they're sticking partway out of juice ice cubes. When you add these to your punch, it will seem as though it's seething with worms—or whatever type of candy you are using. The video below demonstrates one way of making these frozen garnishes.
Kenneth Avery from Hamilton, Alabama on July 24, 2014:
Halloween, besides Christmas and Easter, is my favorite holiday for my grandkids.
This is an excellent piece of writing. Amazing, to be perfectly-honest.
I loved every word--and the lay-out was superb. Interesting, in-depth,
helpful, and very informative. Great job.
Voted up and all the choices because you deserve it.
You have such a gift for writing. I am honored to have discovered you.
Kenneth Avery, Hamilton, Alabama
Soso on October 23, 2013:
I use kool-aid instead for the spooky recipe.
Jamie Brock from Texas on October 15, 2011:
These Halloween punch ideas are so creative and would be awesome for a Halloween party! Thank you for sharing :)
itsmonkeyboy from London, UK on October 14, 2011:
Some great ideas for drinks! Something for everyone it would appear. I'm definitely thinking about the Witches Brew. Thank you for sharing the recipes.