Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee.
The holiday season is in full swing! Decorations are hung, the weather is cold, and there is even snow on the ground, depending on where you live. Maybe you have already attended one or two Christmas parties. This time of year is busy, filled with lighthearted pleasures and an abundance of delicious treats!
Baking Christmas cookies as a family is one of my favorite traditions. We love to bake dozens of tasty treats and share them with our neighbors and friends. Sugar cookies are an absolute must this time of year. This recipe is a classic and will remind you of the delicious cookies you enjoyed as a child. Top with Funfetti frosting and festive sprinkles for a unique twist!
Sugar Cookies Recipe
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Approximately 2 dozen cookies
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Funfetti frosting, optional
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream sugar and butter.
- Stir in egg and vanilla, mixing well.
- Slowly stir in flour mixture.
- Chill sugar cookie dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Kneed dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into balls or flatten out and use a cookie cutter to make festive shapes.
- Place balls of dough or dough shapes on a greased cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip cookies and continue baking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Place cookies on a rack or plate to cool.
- Frost cookies using Funfetti frosting. This is a great task for kids!
- Top cookies with festive sprinkles. The kids will love helping with this step!
© 2016 Alyssa