Frighteningly Delicious Monster Cookies
Frankenstein-Inspired Cookies for Halloween
October is nearly upon us. One of my favorite activities around this time of year is to get creative and make decadent, festive treats with my son. We both love chocolate chip cookies, and we had an idea for a Frankenstein-inspired treat, perfect for Halloween! We combined green and brown M&M's and Kit Kats to create these monster cookies.
Gather the kids in the kitchen and get ready to bake this delicious treat. This would be an excellent choice for your child's classroom Halloween party or for your next fall get-together. These monster cookies are sure to be a big hit with everyone!
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5-10 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 cup M&M's
- 12 fun-size packs Kit Kats
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugars, flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a fork, gently mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine shortening, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir well until clumps form. Use your hands to knead the clumps into cookie dough.
- Set cookie dough aside. Begin separating green and brown M&M's into a bowl. This is a great activity for kids. Place candies aside.
- Add a generous amount of green food coloring to the cookie dough and knead it in well. Repeat until you have your desired shade of green. Kids love this step, too.
- Peel wrappers off of Kit Kat chocolates. I used 12 fun-size packs.
- Break Kit Kats up into small chunks and add into the cookie dough. Once you have all the Kit Kats broken up, knead the chocolate into the dough.
- Pour M&M's into the mixing bowl and knead into the dough.
- Roll dough into large or small balls and flatten them slightly. Space them out evenly on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes for giant cookies, or 12 to 15 minutes for smaller cookies.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
These cookies pair well with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee.