How to Make Criadillas (aka Bull Fries or Rocky Mountain Oysters)
Cooking Bull Testicles
Criadillas, also known as Rocky Mountain oysters, bull fries, or bull testicles, are a culinary tradition in many countries. The recipe is simple and easy to execute.
This dish might sound crazy and even disgusting for many people, but for those who are interested in tasting and trying something different, criadillas will satisfy such cravings. Between you and me, if we can set aside for a moment the origin of the main ingredient, the dish itself is exquisite.
This dish is most common in areas that enjoy bullfighting. It is said that after the bull is killed in the ring, the toreador-matador must taste the testicles of the slain bull as a show of strength and absolute victory.
Vote for bull fries dish
- 1/2 kg bull fries, testicles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I prefer sea salt)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3-5 spoonfuls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium lemon, sliced, for garnish
- 1/5 teaspoon ground pepper
- Any spices you like
- Clean the membrane by removing it from the testicles by gently cutting it as it is shown in the pictures.
- Cut the testicles into long and thin pieces and wash them thoroughly.
- Boil plenty of water and place testicles inside, one by one. Let them boil for about 5-8 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil in different pan one more litre of water.
- When testicles are ready, you need to re-wash them again with prepared water.
- Put olive oil on the pan and let it warm for 2 minutes. Add testicles, salt, pepper, onion, and any other spices you like. Allow them to fry until the colour becomes brownish-golden.
- Serve with fresh lemon garnish.
|Serving size: For 1 = 20g|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 17 mg||6%|
|Sodium 39 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- When frying the testicles, you can add half glass of white wine.
- Before frying, you can flour the pieces for a breaded effect.
- It is possible also to beat an egg with breadcrumbs and add it to the testicles.
- Many also add white vinegar while the testicles are boiling.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
© 2013 SAM ELDER