Sam likes sharing traditional recipes that some people may find unfamiliar. But rest assured—the results are delicious!
A Classic Bull Testicle Recipe
Criadillas, also known as Rocky Mountain oysters, bull fries, or bull testicles, are a culinary tradition in many countries. The recipe is simple and easy to execute.
This dish might sound crazy and even disgusting to many people, but for those who are interested in tasting and trying something different, criadillas will satisfy such cravings. Between you and me, if we can set aside for a moment the origin of the main ingredient, the dish itself is exquisite.
This dish is most common in areas that enjoy bullfighting. It is said that after the bull is killed in the ring, the toreador-matador must taste the testicles of the slain bull as a show of strength and absolute victory.
Vote for bull fries dish
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 people
Read More From Delishably
- 1/2 kilogram bull fries, testicles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I prefer sea salt)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 to 5 spoonfuls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium lemon, sliced, for garnish
- 1/5 teaspoon ground pepper
- Any spices you like
- Clean the testicles by gently removing the membrane (shown in the pictures below).
- Cut the testicles into long, thin pieces and wash them thoroughly.
- Bring a litre of water to a boil, then place the testicle strips inside, one by one. Let them boil for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil another litre of water in a different pan.
- When the testicles are ready, wash them again with the boiled water.
- Put olive oil in a pan and let it warm for 2 minutes. Add testicles, salt, pepper, onion, and any other spices you like. Allow them to fry until the colour becomes brownish-golden.
- Serve with fresh lemon garnish.
- When frying the testicles, you can add half glass of white wine.
- Before frying, you can flour the pieces for a breaded effect.
- It is also possible to beat an egg with breadcrumbs and add it to the testicles.
- Many also add white vinegar while the testicles are boiling.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 SAM ELDER