How to Make Criadillas (A.K.A. Bull Fries or Rocky Mountain Oysters)
Cooking Bull Testicles
Criadillas (also known as Rocky Mountain oysters, bull fries, or bull testicles) are a culinary traditions in many countries. The recipe is simple and easy to make. Such a dish might sound crazy and even gross to many people, but for those who are interested in tasting and trying something different, criadillas will satisfy that craving. If just for a second we forget about the origins of the main ingredient, the dish is really exquisite.
This dish is most common in areas that enjoy bullfighting.
It is said that after killing the bull in bullfighting, the toreador-matador has to taste the testicles of the killed bull as a sign of strength and absolute victory.
Vote for bull fries dish
- 3-4 pieces 0.5kg bull fries, testicles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, I prefer sea salt
- 1 slice onion, medium size
- 3-5 spoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 slice lemon, medium size
- 1/5 teaspoon pepper, ground pepper
- And any spices you like
- Remove the membrane from the testicles by gently cutting it as it is shown in the pictures.
- Cut the "free membrane" testicles into long and thin pieces and wash them thoroughly.
- Boil plenty of water and place testicles inside, one by one. Let them boil for about 5-8 minutes.
- In the meantime boil one more liter of water.
- When testicles are ready wash them again with prepared water.
- Put olive oil on the pan, let it for 2 min. Add testicles, salt, pepper, onion and any other spices you like. Let it fry until testicles color is brownish-golden.
- When serving, have fresh lemon in case your guests or you prefer it with the dish.
|Serving size: For 1 = 20g|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 17 mg||6%|
|Sodium 39 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Other known variation of the dish
- When frying the testicles, you can add half glass of white wine.
- Before frying, you can flour the pieces for a breaded effect.
- It is possible also to beat an egg with breadcrumbs and add it to the testicles.
- Many also add white vinegar while the testicles are boiling.