Margie's been an online writer for several years. Her articles focus on great Southern-style recipes for any occasion.
These creamy meats and vegetable salads are more substantial than just a vegetable salad. Add a crusty type of bread and you have a light meal.
Pick Out Your Favorites and Try Them Out!
1. Southern Potato Salad
2. Curried Chicken Salad
3. Ranch Coleslaw Salad
4. Turkey, Avocado and Pineapple Salad
1. Southern Potato Salad Recipe
Southern potato salad is a delicious side dish for fried chicken, beef brisket, or ham to name a few. Make with sweet or dill pickles, both are equally yummy!
Southern potato salad is served often at our house. There are many variations; this is my favorite recipe. I have to taste everything I cook to determine if it has the right seasonings. Try a bite, bet you can't just eat one!
There are several ways that I cook my potatoes. My favorite is to boil the potatoes whole, cool and refrigerate overnight, and make the next day. Making it quickly, I bake the potatoes in the microwave, let them cool, peel them, and add ingredients. My least favorite way is to peel, cube, and boil in water until tender, then draining the and adding ingredients.
Ingredients for Potato Salad
- 5 large potatoes, russets or red, cooked
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- ½ cup red onion or sliced green onions
- ¼ cup sweet or dill pickles, chopped (I use the pickle relish.)
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise or more to suit your taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
Instructions for Making Potato Salad
- I like cooking the potatoes whole on stove-top with water and then chill overnight and then peel and cube them.
- You can also cube the potatoes and cook in boiling water until tender.
- Add the chopped pickles or relish, onions and the eggs; mix well.
- Stir in the mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and the black pepper; mix well.
- Chill the potato salad until serving time.
- Makes 8 servings.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- Do not substitute salad dressing in place of the mayonnaise, it will not have the flavor that the mayonnaise gives to the potato salad.
- Chill the potato salad for at least four hours or overnight for the flavors to meld together.
- To make your potato salad more colorful, you can use a mix of red, white, and purple potatoes.
What Meats to Serve With Potato Salad
barbecue chicken, steak, sausage, etc.
Sides That Go Well With Potato Salad
mac and cheese
corn on cob
fresh tomatoes, sliced
2. Curried Chicken Salad Recipe
The curried chicken salad is deliciously different filled with grapes, toasted pecans, and seasoned with curry powder!
You will be in for a treat with this recipe for a curried chicken salad. It is different but delicious! Serve on a bed of fresh greens with crackers or homemade bread and fresh fruit.
In a hurry, grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store! My mom and I first tried this curried chicken salad in a deli in a town we visited a lot. It was always served with homemade bread and fresh fruit.
Let's get cooking now!
Gather all your ingredients before you start your recipe! I learned this from experience! It's not fun to hunt for an ingredient only to find out you don't have it. Sometimes you can substitute an ingredient in a recipe, but not in every recipe. Now let's get this delicious curried chicken salad started.
I now have a recipe, so we can have this yummy curried chicken salad any time we crave it.
Ingredients for Curried Chicken Salad
- 3 chicken breast, cooked, bone in, skin on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted, chopped coarsely
Instructions for Making Curried Chicken Salad
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange the chicken breasts skin-side up on a baking sheet.
- Coat with the olive oil and sprinkle both sides with the kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until done. Let cool.
- In a medium-size bowl combine the mayonnaise, curry powder, sour cream, salt, and the honey to make the dressing.
- After the chicken cools, remove the skin and take the meat off the bones. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning to your desired flavor.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- Baking gives your chicken salad a lot more flavor than boiling!
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to kick it up a notch.
- Use 1/2 cups salted cashews in place of pecans.
- Change the fruits around, apples and pineapple are also delicious in this chicken salad!
- If you own an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, cook the chicken in it, so fast and delicious!
Video Making Curry Chicken
Making Homemade Curry Powder
There are many recipes for homemade curry powder, some do not have the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. It just depends on your preference for flavors.
Ingredients for Homemade Curry Powder
- 4 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, whole
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cardamon seed, without pods
- 1/2-inch stick cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, whole
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
Instruction for Making Homemade Curry Powder
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, blend the spices until it becomes a fine powder.
- Put into an airtight storage container. Store in a cool place.
- This makes about 1/4 cup, if you want to cut down on the amount, just make half of the recipe.
3. Ranch Coleslaw Recipe
Ranch cole slaw is a quick and easy recipe. If you are looking for something different for a side dish, this recipe fits in with just about any meal from sandwiches to a pork roast. It uses ranch salad dressing to add a unique flavor to this delicious side.
Ingredients for Ranch Coleslaw
- ¼ cup prepared ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 ¾ cups coleslaw mix
Instructions for Ranch Coleslaw
- In a small bowl, whisk together salad dressing, mayonnaise, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Put coleslaw in serving bowl; add dressing and toss to coat.
Make 4 servings.
Video Chicken Cobb Salad With Homemade Vinaigrette Dressing
4. Turkey, Avocado, and Pineapple Salad Recipe
This is a salad that will tingle with your taste buds! Made with some of my favorite ingredients turkey, avocado, and pineapple.
You could also use chicken if you like. Serve in a hollowed out tomato or on a lettuce leaf. Great for brunch or ladies’ night out!
Ingredients for Turkey Salad
- ½ cups pineapple tidbits
- 1 avocado, diced (see tip)
- 4 cups turkey or chicken, cooked and cubed
- ½ cup salad dressing
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Making Turkey Salad
- Mix all ingredients together, refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Serve stuffed in a tomato or on a lettuce leaf.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- Slice avocado in half, remove seed. Then slice avocado lengthwise, turn and slice crosswise. You now have a diced avocado, remove by using a spoon.
© 2018 Margie's Southern Kitchen
Let Hear About Your Creamy, Meaty and Vegetable Salads!
Margie's Southern Kitchen (author) from the USA on March 24, 2018:
Flourish you should post it! Sounds yummy! Have a great day!
FlourishAnyway from USA on March 24, 2018:
I make a honey mustard potato salad that my family just loves.