I love to travel, eat various foods, watch movies, read blogs, and play online games.
Pork Estofado ala Ilonggo
Pork estofado is a stewed pork dish served with fried plantains. This pork recipe is comparable to pork adobo, but the use of sweet potato and fried plantains gives this dish a distinct taste. Plantains or “saging na saba” help improve the flavor of this dish and add a little sweetness to it.
When I was a kid, my father used to cook this recipe for fiestas, wedding, birthdays, and many other significant Ilonggo events, as it is one of our traditional dishes.
Read More From Delishably
Out of curiosity and fascination, I tried to study this recipe until I was able to perfect it. My only to regret that my father will no longer get the chance to taste it. As a way of remembering him at our family’s significant occasions, I make sure that this recipe is always present at our table.
I hope you will try this at home and hope you will enjoy eating it.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
1 hour 40 min
This recipe is good for 4 persons
Pork Estafado Ingredients
- 700g deboned pork leg meat, cubed
- 2 pcs Chinese sausage, sliced thinly
- 2 pcs sweet potato (if not available use medium carrots as alternative), sliced
- 3 pcs plaintains(cardaba bananas), sliced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- vinegar soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cup pork stock
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat a frying pan and pour 3/4 cups of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, fry the sliced plantains until the color of each side turns medium to dark brown. Set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup of cooking oil in a separate cooking pot then apply heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic and sauté until the color turns light brown.
- Add the cubed pork and cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Put-in the soy sauce, water, whole peppercorns, and dried bay leaves then bring to a boil. Simmer until pork is tender.
- Add vinegar and wait for the liquid to re-boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and carrots. Stir then simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the contents of the cooking pot to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fried bananas then serve.
- Share and enjoy!