I love to travel, eat various foods, watch movies, read blogs, and play online games.
Pork Estofado ala Ilonggo
Pork estofado is a stewed pork dish served with fried plantains. This pork recipe is comparable to pork adobo, but the use of sweet potato and fried plantains gives this dish a distinct taste. Plantains or “saging na saba” help improve the flavor of this dish and add a little sweetness to it.
When I was a kid, my father used to cook this recipe for fiestas, wedding, birthdays, and many other significant Ilonggo events, as it is one of our traditional dishes.
Out of curiosity and fascination, I tried to study this recipe until I was able to perfect it. My only to regret that my father will no longer get the chance to taste it. As a way of remembering him at our family’s significant occasions, I make sure that this recipe is always present at our table.
I hope you will try this at home and hope you will enjoy eating it.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
1 hour 40 min
This recipe is good for 4 persons
Pork Estafado Ingredients
- 700g deboned pork leg meat, cubed
- 2 pcs Chinese sausage, sliced thinly
- 2 pcs sweet potato (if not available use medium carrots as alternative), sliced
- 3 pcs plaintains(cardaba bananas), sliced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- vinegar soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cup pork stock
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat a frying pan and pour 3/4 cups of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, fry the sliced plantains until the color of each side turns medium to dark brown. Set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup of cooking oil in a separate cooking pot then apply heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic and sauté until the color turns light brown.
- Add the cubed pork and cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Put-in the soy sauce, water, whole peppercorns, and dried bay leaves then bring to a boil. Simmer until pork is tender.
- Add vinegar and wait for the liquid to re-boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and carrots. Stir then simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the contents of the cooking pot to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fried bananas then serve.
- Share and enjoy!
mei on July 14, 2020:
there's no carrots on your ingredients but the instruction no. 8 says to add it .