Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad & Dressing Recipe
I Love Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
It was about 10 years ago when my boss at the time ran out to pick up something for lunch and bring it back to the office so she could continue working. As she walked passed me, I caught a glimpse of something that looked really good in the see-through take-out container. So I just had to ask her what it was. She promptly handed me a plastic fork to take a taste and from that day on, I was hooked on Applebee’s oriental chicken salad.
For many years, I would call the Applebee’s near my work about 15 minutes ahead of time to order my salad and bring it back to the office. On occasion, I would actually eat in at Applebee’s too. And without question, I always order the oriental chicken salad. I never even look at the menu.
What About You?
What is Your Favorite Salad at Applebee's?
Save Money by Making Your Own Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
This salad is offered at Applebee's in a “full” or “half” version. I must confess that I have never ordered the half version. To me, that is just silly. Of course, because I am addicted to this salad I want the larger version and also, the half version isn’t cost effective in my eyes.
Applebee’s currently charges $9.49 for their oriental chicken salad. The half size is $7.99. To me, that is really expensive for a salad. I will say, though, that this salad is on their “2 for $20” menu which means you can get two entrees and an appetizer for 20 bucks.
But times have changed for me over the years, and I do not work at that same job that was near an Applebee’s. In addition, I don’t make the income that I used to.
Recently, I thought about this salad and how sad I am that, for me, it is not something that is easily within reach or affordable. I did a little bit of searching on the internet and there are many “copycat” recipes for Applebee’s oriental chicken salad. I took a look at many of the recipes to help me decide what I thought would make this salad exactly like I get at the restaurant. And I’m excited to tell you that I believe I have put together a very simple, much less expensive recipe that is a true replica of my favorite Applebee’s salad.
“Just Like Applebee’s” Oriental Chicken Salad Ingredients (6-8 Servings)
- 2 bags (9 ounce) Dole Classic Romaine bagged salad mix (with carrots and red cabbage)
- 1 bag (25 ounce) Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips
- 1 bag (3.5 ounce) sliced Almond Accents (original oven roasted)
- 1 can (5 ounce) LaChoy Chow Mein Noodles
- 4 chopped green onions (optional for garnish)
- Bake entire bag of Tyson crispy chicken strips according to package instructions. Although you can use the microwave or fry in oil, for best results, I suggest heating in the oven to retain crispiness.
- Cut chicken strips into desired size pieces. I cut mine to bite size approximately one inch.
- Layer the salad: You can prepare individual dishes/plates or layer the salad in a large roaster pan, approximately 17" X 12" X 3" deep, for easy serving.
As you will see by my photos, I decided to layer the salad in a pretty glass trifle bowl but I only used half of the ingredients for display. This recipe will actually fit better in an extra-large roaster pan.
- Bottom layer: Romaine salad mix
- 2nd layer: Almonds
- 3rd layer: Chicken
- 4th layer: Chow mein noodles
- 5th layer: Salad dressing (recipe below)
- Top layer: Optional green onion garnish
This recipe, using two bags of salad mix, will comfortably serve 6-8 large salads. Feel free to split all ingredients in half to serve approximately 4 large salads.
Salad Dressing Ingredients
“Just Like Applebee’s” Oriental Chicken Salad Dressing Ingredients
I’ve never ordered this salad at Applebee’s without asking for extra dressing. It’s different and I believe, difficult to duplicate. I have tweaked a version that I believe makes you think you ordered it from the restaurant. It is so simple and so good!
- 1 & 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (plain not seasoned)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salad Dressing Instructions
Mix all ingredients preferably with a blender. If necessary, a whisk will work too. Keep refrigerated.
Salad Dressing Ready for Serving
Use Your Discretion as to How Much Salad Dressing to Use
Please take a moment to vote!
It's Really That Simple
That's it! So easy and tastes delicious. Now you can have your own Applebee's oriental chicken salad anytime you wish. I truly hope you enjoy!
This is Sharyn's Slant.