Thelma Alberts is passionate about baking and cooking, and she likes to get creative. She worked for many years in cafeterias in Germany.
Special Occasion Meatloaf
Meatloaf is one of my go-to dishes for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, or Christmas dinners. I don't make the same meatloaf each time; there's always a variation. Sometimes I wrap the meatloaf with bacon and fill it with cooked eggs, and sometimes I add whatever fresh vegetables I have in the fridge. One time I used just green asparagus. It was delicious, but I was not satisfied with how it looked. The next time I decided to add red bell peppers for color. It turned out beautifully—and was very tasty, as well.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 5 min
Read More From Delishably
- 800 grams pork and beef, ground
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 stalks green asparagus, washed and pat-dried
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 9 strips red bell pepper
- 100 grams bacon strips
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices white bread, dunked in fresh milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt or meatloaf seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, for brushing the baking tin
- Wash the asparagus and trim away the hard lower part of the stalks.
- Wash the red bell pepper and make nine julienne slices.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Peel, wash, and chop the onion.
- In a large bowl, add the ground pork, beef, eggs, salt or meatloaf seasoning mix, and white pepper powder.
- Dunk the white bread in milk; then lightly press the bread to get rid of excess milk. Tear the softened bread into small pieces and add them to the ground meat mixture.
- Add the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Prepare a baking tin brushed with olive oil.
- Line the bacon strips on a wooden or silicone slicing board.
- Place the ground meat mixture on top of the bacon strips. Flatten the mixture and place the asparagus and bell peppers in the middle (refer to photo). Shape the ground meat mixture like a loaf of bread.
- Wrap the bacon on both sides of the meatloaf.
- Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on what kind of oven you have.
- Loaf tin: You can of course use a loaf tin for baking the meatloaf. Just arrange the bacon strips on the bottom and the sides of the baking tin. Then add half of the meatloaf and put the asparagus and bell peppers on it. Then cover the veggies with the remaining ground meat mixture.
- Serving suggestion: You may have leftover green asparagus and red bell peppers. Fry them with butter and season with salt and pepper. Add some fresh parsley if you have.
Thank you very much for reading. I hope you will enjoy trying this comfort food of mine. I look forward to hearing your comments below.
© 2021 Thelma Alberts