Baked Tuna Pie Recipe
Baked tuna pie is very easy to prepare, as it contains just six ingredients: three vegetables, one egg, tinned tuna and ready-made shortcrust pastry. The dish tastes delicious and is quite filling, too.
This recipe can serve four people. In the summer, I like to serve it with a salad, and during the rest of the year I'll often serve it with chips or wedges. It is better to eat this dish on the day it is prepared as there is an egg in this recipe.
This dish is so easy to make. All you need to do is chop up two vegetables, mix them in with the rest of the ingredients, pour the mixture onto one side of your shortcrust pastry and then cook it.
- 2 tins tuna, in brine or water
- 1 large white onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 roll ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 egg
- Dash of salt
- Open the two tins of tuna and drain the liquid from them. Then place the tuna in a large bowl.
- Next finely chop the onion and place this into the same bowl as the tuna. Chop up the green pepper into strips and then cut it into cubes and add it to the tuna. Finally add in the frozen peas and then mix everything together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and then pour this into the mixture. Season the dish with a dash of salt. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon, to make sure that the egg is well incorporated in with the rest of the mixture.
- Next unroll your pastry sheet. Place it on a large baking tray that has a sheet of grease-proof paper on it.
- Pour all of the mixture onto one side of the shortcrust pastry sheet. Make sure that you evenly spread out all the mixture onto one side of the shortcrust pastry sheet. Use a palette knife to even out the top and to flatten the sides of the mixture.
- Wet the edges of the pastry with water and then fold over the other half of the pastry sheet onto the tuna mixture. Press around the edges of the pastry sheet with your fingers to seal both sides of the pastry together. Now using a fork go around the edges of the pastry again and then press down on the edges with the fork. You can brush the top with some milk or beaten egg if you want.
- Place the tray in a preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius / 392 Fahrenheit.on the middle shelf for 40 minutes. If you don't have a fan oven then check it after 20 minutes to see how it is doing. You want the top to be golden brown. If it's turning to brown, you should cover the top with a sheet of tinfoil and turn down the heat a little. Don't cook it for any longer than 40 minutes.
- Once it's cooked take it out of the oven and serve it hot with potato wedges, chips or a salad.
- Vegetables: If you don't like green pepper, substitute red pepper or yellow pepper.
- Tuna: If you don't like fish, use chopped-up cooked chicken, turkey or even ham instead of tuna.
Don't Like Certain Vegetables?
If you are not a fan of some of the vegetables in this recipe, then you can omit them. But try to keep the frozen peas and the onion in the recipe. You could make this pie using chopped cooked chicken, chopped onion and frozen peas.
Also instead of using an egg to bind it, instead you would use a packet of dried mushroom soup. Tinned mushroom soup can also be used instead of dried. Follow the directions on the packet to prepare it but only use half of the soup in this recipe.
Mushroom Soup (Instead of Egg) Variation
- Dissolve your mushroom soup in about 200 ml of cold water and cook it over the hob until the soup is piping hot and has started to thicken. Set the soup aside to cool. You need the soup to be at room temperature before it is put on the pastry.
- Once the soup has cooled, mix it in with the peas, onion and chopped cooked chicken.
- Again pour it onto one side of the pastry and cover it with the other half of the pastry. Cook in the oven at the same temperature for the same length of time.
If your oven only has two shelves, I would put this on the lower shelf. I've found that having it on the top shelf can cause the top of the pastry to get a bit too brown. The only thing in this recipe that has to be cooked is the egg used to bind everything together.
You can serve this with salad, potato wedges or chips. If you like mayonnaise then you can add a serving on the side with this recipe.
|Serving size: 4|
|Calories from Fat||333|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 37 g||57%|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50%|
|Unsaturated fat 5 g|
|Carbohydrates 53 g||18%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 41 mg||14%|
|Sodium 291 mg||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2020 Sp Greaney