Basic Shrimp Scampi: A Simple Yet Delicious Recipe
The Popular Shrimp Scampi Dish
This shrimp recipe is one of my favorite basic recipes from my shoebox collection. When you cook and want to serve something special (either at home or to bring over to some friends), one of the things that I recommend is to go back to the basics.
When looking for recipes, I recommend that everyone first pick a food that interests them. And if you aren’t sure of the appropriate process to follow, then find one of the basic recipes for the dish, and use it. You don’t have to serve a complex and time-consuming dish to prove that you can cook. You just have to serve a good dish.
Here's my reasoning for going back to basics: By using a basic recipe for the dish, you leave yourself the option to tweak the recipe and make it your own.
With the addition of other spices and herbs that you have on hand and that happen to suit your tastes, you end up with a dish that reflects you and your tastes.
Shrimp scampi is really just your favorite pasta covered in shrimp that are sautéed in oil, garlic, and butter. Here is my basic recipe. Use and modify it to your heart’s content.
- 2 pounds shrimp (21-25 count), peeled and rinsed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, or more to suit your taste
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Make your favorite pasta. Make enough for four people, and time it to be ready at the same time that you will finish the shrimp.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over a low to medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and heat until it starts to turn a light golden color, but do not burn it.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Turn the shrimp and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Once the shrimp is a nice pink color, add the butter, salt, pepper, lemon juice and the hot sauce. Continue to cook, stirring, for around 2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Pour your cooked pasta into a large serving bowl, and then pour the shrimp and the sauce over the pasta.
- Toss the mixture together until blended well and all of the pasta is wet with the sauce.
- Serve HOT!
Nutritional Content (per serving)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||207|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 23 g||35%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 135 mg||45%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
If you want to customize this dish, many herbs and spices can be used to customize the flavor of your dish even more. Here are some suggestions:
- Orange zest
It’s your dish anyway, isn’t it?