Melissa is a certified food scientist with over 20 years in the food industry. New food development and matching are her specialties.
Rate This Recipe
Boudin (Boo-dan) is a Cajun sausage that is more of a sausage/rice mixture. It adds flavor and moisture to this sourdough bread dressing.
- 1 loaf Sourdough bread
- 4 links Boudin sausage, Hot or mild, casing removed
- 1 medium Yellow onion, Medium diced
- 2 stalks Celery, Thinly sliced
- 5–7 Cremini or baby bela mushrooms, Roughly chopped
- 10–12 Fresh sage leaves, Finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 8 Tbsp Butter
- 4–5 cups Chicken Stock, Reduced Sodium
- Salt & pepper To taste
- Handful Fresh parsley, Finely chopped
- 3 Eggs, Beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice the sourdough bread and cut it into 3/4 inch cubes. Line on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until dry.
- Melt the butter in an 8 qt Dutch oven. Add the mushroom, onions, and celery and cook 6–7 minutes. Add the boudin and continue to cook until the boudin is heated through. Add the sage and thyme. Remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the eggs and 4 cups of the chicken stock. Reserve an extra cup of stock.
- Put the bread cubes in the Dutch oven with the boudin mixture and toss. Add the egg with stock, and continue to stir until the bread has thoroughly soaked. If the bread soaks up all of the stock, add the extra cup. Your mixture should look slightly over saturated as it will dry some in the oven. Salt and pepper if desired. Boudin is salty, so don't overdo it.
- Leave the dressing in the pan or transfer to a disposable pan if desired. Sprinkle the top with pepper and parsley. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
© 2017 Melissa Holton
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on November 27, 2017:
I've never heard of boudin before. Thanks for sharing the information about it. Your recipe sounds interesting and flavourful.
Melissa Holton (author) from New River, AZ on November 26, 2017:
Thanks, Thelma. Enjoy!
Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on November 26, 2017:
This sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe.