I am a chef who loves to cook, write recipes, and grow my own ingredients.
These crispy pork chops are marinated in kalamansi juice and fish sauce before being breaded, deep-fried, and served with a delicious mushroom gravy. In this article, let me share my simple recipe.
If you don't have kalamansi juice, I recommend substituting lemon juice.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 pork chops
- 4 slices pork chops, about 1/2-inch thick
- cooking oil, for frying
For the marinade:
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons kalamansi juice
- 1 teaspooon black pepper
For the breading mixture:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
For the mushroom gravy:
- 400 grams mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 chicken cube
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
Read More From Delishably
- 1 large plate
- 4 medium bowls
- 9 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- frying pan
- cooling rack
- cooking spoon
- Marinate the pork chops with kalamansi juice, fish sauce and black pepper. Place inside the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Before taking the pork chops out of the fridge, prepare the breading mixture. Crack and beat eggs in a bowl. Add water. In separate bowls, season flour and bread crumbs with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- After marinating the pork chops, coat each piece in the breading mixture. Follow this simple breading procedure: flour, egg, flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Press the pork chop firmly to compact the breading in order to prevent it from falling apart. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan and pour in some cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, pan-fry each piece of breaded pork chop over low to medium heat. Cook each side until the color turns golden brown.
- Once cooked, transfer the pork chops to a cooling rack or a plate lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Saute garlic and mushroom. Cook until tender. Set aside.
- Using the same saucepan, heat oil and butter. Add all-purpose flour to make a roux. Cook until golden brown.
- Slowly add water while stirring. Stir in chicken cube until diluted.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once ready, pour into a gravy sauce boat or a bowl.
- Serve with rice and enjoy.
Tips and Techniques
- Taste the marinade before using it.
- If you don't have kalamansi juice, you can substitute lemon juice.
- Serve breaded pork chops with mushroom gravy as it is or with rice.
- Achieve a more moist and crispy texture of fried foods by freezing before frying.
- Use fresh or canned mushrooms.
- Replace chicken cube and water with all-natural chicken broth.
- Do not overcrowd the frying pan to maintain the oil temperature for even cooking.
- Add cooking oil into the butter to avoid burning the butter.
- Choose any kind of bread crumbs available.
- Make a roux to thicken up the mushroom gravy.
- Cook the roux until golden brown to achieve a brighter brown color for the mushroom gravy.
More Deep-Fried Meats
- How to Cook Breaded Fish and Chips
Fish and chips is a popular snack in Europe that originated in Great Britain. In my simple recipe, I put a Japanese twist on the snack by using Panko bread crumbs.
- How to Make Chicken Lollipops Out of Chicken Wings
How do you make chicken lollipops? I make mine with either the wingettes or drumettes of chicken wings. I'll show you my step-by-step procedure for making this delicious finger food.
© 2021 Travel Chef