How to Cook Roast Lamb With Vegetables
Roast Lamb Meal
Step-by-step instructions with photos for cooking a roast lamb meal with mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots, and cauliflower cheese. I also show you how to make homemade gravy.
Preparation and Cook Time
Ingredients for the Entire Meal
- Piece of Lamb
- 8 small carrots
- 8 medium size potatoes
- Large packet of sprouts
- Medium cauliflower
- Block of hard cheese, Cheddar works best but you can use whichever you like
- 2 tablespoons of gravy powder
- ½ cup of cooking oil
- Small amount of butter
- Small amount of milk
- salt and pepper
- Jar mint sauce, optional
Instructions for Cooking the Lamb
- Preheat the oven on the highest setting for 15 minutes.
- Remove lamb from the packet and wash under the cold tap.
- Put in a roasting dish and add water. It should come up to about third of the way of the meat.
- Put on the top shelf of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take out the lamb and cover with tin foil or a lid.
- Turn down the cooker to 220 degrees.
- After a further 45 minutes remove the lamb.
- Carefully take away the lid or tin foil as the steam is very hot.
- Turn the lamb upside down in the dish with a fork. This enables the meat to be evenly cooked through out.
- Put back in the oven for another 45 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and take out some of the meat juices. Add more boiling water if needed. The juices will help make flavour your gravy.
- Put back in the oven but leave off the lid or tin foil for another 15 mins. This is done at the beginning of cooking and at the end so that the lamb can have wonderful tasty hard outer meat while the inside of the lamb is soft and juicy. Everyone in my house wants these outer pieces of lamb.
- Check that the meat is cooked by piercing with a sharp knife. If it enters the joint easily it is ready. Put the meat on a plate.
- It is necessary to leave the cooked lamb at least 20 minutes on the plate to allow the meat juices to settle. It is also a lot easier to cut too.
- By this time, I have already prepared the vegetables I intend to boil. Now is the time to add these to the cooker.
- Cut up the lamb into slices. Some of it will fall apart but that is alright because roast lamb tastes better when it melts in your mouth.
- When all the food is cooked and ready dish up this great family meal of roast lamb, potatoes, and vegetables.
How to Cook the Roast Potatoes
The amount of ingredients for this budget friendly meal serves 4 adults.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them up into medium-sized pieces.
- Wash them under the cold tap.
- Take a roasting dish and add the oil.
- Place the potatoes in the dish.
- Cover them with the oil. You can use a spoon or turn them around in the oil with your hands.
- The oil should go up as far as a third of the potatoes.
- Place in the oven 1 hour before you want to eat the meal. Or for 10 minutes earlier if you like your roast potatoes very well done.
- They will be ready when the lamb and other vegetables are cooked.
- Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower
- Cut into four pieces.
- Take off the florets and place in the dish.
- Add some of the milk. Try to wet the tops of the cauliflower as you pour it slowly.
- Grate the cheese on top of the cauliflower until it is covered completely
- Add more milk, enough to come up to about halfway in the dish
- Put on the second shelf in the oven 45 minutes before you intend to dish up the meal.
Creamy and Delicious Cauliflower Cheese
Preparing the Sprouts and Carrots
- Large packet of sprouts
- 4 medium potatoes
- 8 small carrots
- Gravy powder
- Meat juices
- Small amount of butter and milk
- Salt and pepper
- Peel the sprouts of the outer leaves.
- If they are big ones cut in half.
- Use approximately six sprouts for each person.
- Put in a pot and add boiling water, making sure to cover them.
- Begin to cook these 25 minutes before you intend to dish up the meal
- Check they are cooked by piercing one with a knife. If the sprout is soft they are ready.
- Drain the water from the pot.
- Add a small knob of butter.
- Cut off the ends and peel the carrots of the outer skin.
- Cut in half and then into thin strips.
- Put in a pot and add boiling water.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain the water from the carrots.
- Add a little butter and salt if you wish.
Buttery Mashed Potatoes
How to Cook the Mashed Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and wash.
- Cut them up into small pieces
- Add to the pot with boiling water
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the water from the potatoes and add a large knob of butter and a tiny portion of milk.
- Mash them quickly to keep the heat in and cover while you dish up the meal.
How to Make Gravy
Right, I will come clean here about the gravy. I do not remember how to cook gravy from scratch with flour. I never liked the taste of it made that way. I now use gravy powder that can be bought in a packet. It is not the gravy granules that you just add water to, as I find that method to be tasteless. I make my gravy with the powder and the juices of the meat I am cooking at the time.
- Use a large mug or measuring cup. This makes it easier to blend in the powder.
- Add about ½ a cup of cold water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of gravy powder to the water and stir in.
- It is important to get all the lumps out at this stage.
- Put some water into a pot and boil.
- Pour in the meat juices and mix.
- Pour in the gravy mixture to the water slowly but constantly.
- You must stir the spoon without stopping until all the mixture has been added. If you do not then you will be left with a lumpy mess. I find a wooden spoon is easier to use.
- Stop adding the mix when the consistency is how you like to eat your gravy.
- Add to a gravy boat or pouring dish so your family can enjoy this perfect home made gravy.
I find it is so much easier to add more water if the gravy is too thick. If you have not made enough gravy mix and it turns out too thin then it is harder to add more without getting lumps.
It will take a few attempts with every meal before you can judge how much powder and water to use when making your gravy. But you will soon be an expert and only have to use the proper amount of ingredients when making the gravy.
Roast Lamb and Vegetables
Best Lamb Recipe
Roast lamb dinner is a delicious meal to cook.
If you buy the lamb when it is at a special price at the butchers or shops then you can save even more money too.
Cooked lamb freezes vey well. When I decide I would like a roast lamb dinner I only have to defrost a portion of the cooked meat and spend 25 minutes cooking the accompanying vegetables and potatoes.