Melissa is a certified food scientist with over 20 years in the food industry. New food development and matching are her specialties.
Buffalo Wing Life Hack
Occasionally I get a craving for wings, but definitely don't want to go through the hassle of deep-frying. This recipe provides a healthier, easier option. In Texas, we are blessed with a grocery store chain called HEB that makes amazing fresh tortillas. If you are lucky enough to live near an HEB, I highly recommend you use their tortillas for this recipe. I am also a big fan of Bolthouse Farms' yogurt dressing. You won't miss the fat of regular dressing, and they also offer bleu cheese if you prefer it with your hot wings. Frank's Red Hot Sauce finishes out the list of must-have ingredients for the quintessential hot wing flavor. I do not represent any of these companies.
Rate This Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken Breast Tenders
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- To Taste Pepper
- 3/4 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion, Thinly sliced
- 2 Stalks Celery, Thinly chopped
- 1 Bunch Red Leaf Lettuce, Stalk removed, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp Corn Starch, (Optional)
- 2 tsp Water, (Optional)
- 8-10 Tortillas, Warmed
- 4 oz Cheddar Cheese, Shredded (Optional)
- 4 oz Yogurt Ranch Dressing, (Bolthouse Farms recommended)
- Melt the butter with the olive oil over medium high heat in a large (non-stick) fry pan. Add the chicken, and allow it to brown. Pepper to taste. Continue cooking the chicken 12-15 minutes. Prepare the vegetables while the chicken cooks.
- Add 1/2 cup of Frank's Red Hot Sauce to the chicken, and turn to coat. Cover and simmer another 5 minutes. Turn chicken. If the sauce is too thin, corn starch can be used to thicken it. First mix the corn starch with water. Move the chicken to one side of the pan, and rapidly stir the corn starch into the buffalo sauce. Toss the chicken to coat, and add the remaining Frank's to finish.
- Place a tortilla on a plate. Top with a piece of lettuce. Drizzle the ranch over the lettuce and top with the buffalo chicken, onion, celery, and cheese. Roll into the wrap by folding the bottom end up, then rolling the tortilla lengthwise while holding the bottom in place.
© 2017 Melissa Althen