Spicy Cajun Crusted Chicken and Asparagus
Simple, Quick, and Delicious
Being a mom and working full-time means I am often looking for simple, quick, and delicious meals that my entire family will enjoy. Everyone in my family likes chicken and asparagus—so this particular recipe is win-win! The other really nice thing about this dish is it can be cooked in one pot, which saves both time and cleanup.
I serve this dish often, and my absolute favorite way to serve it is with a side of basmati rice. However, you can serve it with any type of rice or side that your family prefers!
- Saran wrap
- Rolling pin
- Zester or grater
- Large pan
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cajun spice, to taste
- 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Open the package of chicken and shake on the Cajun spice liberally, covering the top of the chicken pieces. Then zest some lemon on top as well.
- Lay a large piece of the saran wrap on the counter. Place the chicken pieces, spiced side down on top of the saran wrap. Liberally cover the other side of the chicken now with Cajun spices and some lemon zest.
- Place another piece of saran wrap on top of the chicken breasts. Use your rolling pin and pound on top of the chicken pieces until they are about an inch thick.
- Prepare the asparagus, by trimming off the bottom of the asparagus where it is woody (approximately 1.5 inches). Discard the woody ends. Chop up the rest of the asparagus into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
- Heat up the pan on the stovetop to a high heat, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Place your flattened chicken pieces in the pan and cook (sear) 3.5 to 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken.
- Once chicken is removed, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the hot pan and add the chopped asparagus. Cook 4 to 6 minutes until desired tenderness is achieved. Add a splash of lemon juice at the last minute of cooking (optional).
Recipe note: If you have enough room in your pan, you can arrange the chicken to one side and add the asparagus and butter to the other side of the pan to cook together the last 4 to 6 minutes.