California Adventure's Chicken Chimichurri Skewer
A few years ago, while strolling through California Adventure on a beautiful spring day, I came across the Mediterranean Grill. I decided to order kabobs and some baklava. To this day, it is one of my favorite dishes that I have eaten at a Disneyland park. I am so excited that I finally got my hands on the recipe and am able to share it with you! Be forewarned that this is a monster of a meal to make. I suggest making the cucumber salad well before dinner time and have someone cook the skewers while working on the rice pilaf. I found that it was a little chaotic cooking everything at once. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do, because it is delicious!
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients
- 3 cups packed flat leaf parsley leafs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 TSBP dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Chimichurri Sauce Instructions
- Place parsley, garlic, onion, yellow pepper, and red pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is finely chopped.
2. Transfer mixture into a medium bowl. Stir in vinegar, oregano, salt, lemon zest, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add oil and stir to combine.
* I did not have a food processor so I put all wet and dry ingredients into a blender and blended until it was all combined.
Chicken Skewer Ingredients
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- olive oil, for brushing
- salt and pepper, to taste
Chicken Skewer Instructions
- Soak wooden skewers in cool water for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- When skewers have soaked, skewer chicken and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on a grill over medium-high heat, turning often until cooked all the way through.
Rice Pilaf Ingredients
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- salt, to taste
Rice Pilaf Instructions
- Combine vegetable stock, cumin, and pepper in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
3. Add onions and celery. Cook until vegetables are softened.
4. Carefully add hot vegetable stock mixture to rice mixture. Bring to a simmer, then place lid on pan.
5. Cook until rice is tender (about 20 minutes). Fluff with a fork before serving. Season with salt to taste.
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- 4 cucumbers, sliced on diagonal
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Cucumber Salad Instructions
- Combine Cucumbers, red pepper, and green pepper in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk in oil until completely combined.
- Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve skewers over rice pilaf with cucumber salad on the side.
- Add chimichurri sauce on top of skewers or on the side for dipping.
- Place a piece of pita bread on the side. (optional)
I don't know about you but I will be making this many more times. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and leave me a comment if there are any recipes you want to know!
Questions & Answers
© 2016 Lyndsay Gamber