Lyndsay is a huge fan of all things Disney, and she enjoys finding ways to incorporate its magic in everything from crafts to recipes.
A few years ago, while strolling through California Adventure on a beautiful spring day, I came across the Mediterranean Grill. I decided to order kabobs and some baklava. To this day, it is one of my favorite dishes that I have eaten at a Disneyland park. I am so excited that I finally got my hands on the recipe and am able to share it with you! Be forewarned that this is a monster of a meal to make. I suggest making the cucumber salad well before dinner time and have someone cook the skewers while working on the rice pilaf. I found that it was a little chaotic cooking everything at once. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do, because it is delicious!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients
- 3 cups packed flat leaf parsley leafs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Chimichurri Sauce Instructions
- Place parsley, garlic, onion, yellow pepper, and red pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture into a medium bowl. Stir in vinegar, oregano, salt, lemon zest, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add oil and stir to combine.
* I did not have a food processor so I put all wet and dry ingredients into a blender and blended until it was all combined.
Chicken Skewer Ingredients
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Chicken Skewer Instructions
- Soak wooden skewers in cool water for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- When skewers have soaked, skewer chicken and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on a grill over medium-high heat, turning often until cooked all the way through.
Rice Pilaf Ingredients
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Salt, to taste
Rice Pilaf Instructions
- Combine vegetable stock, cumin, and pepper in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Add onions and celery. Cook until vegetables are softened.
- Carefully add hot vegetable stock mixture to rice mixture. Bring to a simmer, then place lid on pan.
- Cook until rice is tender (about 20 minutes). Fluff with a fork before serving. Season with salt to taste.
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- 4 cucumbers, sliced on diagonal
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Cucumber Salad Instructions
- Combine Cucumbers, red pepper, and green pepper in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk in oil until completely combined.
- Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
How to Serve
- Serve skewers over rice pilaf with cucumber salad on the side.
- Add chimichurri sauce on top of skewers or on the side for dipping.
- Place a piece of pita bread on the side. (optional)
I don't know about you but I will be making this many more times. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and leave me a comment if there are any recipes you want to know!
© 2016 Lyndsay Gamber