Chicken Breasts in Pasta Sauce Recipe
Baked Chicken With Leftover Pasta Sauce
Last night, we'd had a pasta dish made with green peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, hot peppers, and celery. I had some of the sauce left over and didn't really want to freeze it or throw it away. Using the sauce, this is the chicken dish I came up with—initially called "chicken breast surprise," as I was not sure how it would turn out—and it was delicious.
You could use pretty much any leftover pasta sauce for this dish, but in case you want to make it just like mine, I will give you the recipe for the pasta sauce that I made.
- 2 green peppers chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced thin
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 4 dashes of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Sauce
- 2 pinches of basil
- 2 pinches of oregano
- 2 pinches of thyme
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- In a large pot add the oil and heat on high.
- Add celery, onions, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add green pepper, garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, Cajun or hot sauce, and all the spices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour over cooked pasta, and save some for this chicken breast dish.
Baked Chicken Cook Time
- 6 to 7 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 to 3 cups pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup cheese, grated
- 2 cups minute rice
Let's Cook The Chicken Breasts
- Place oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Lightly spray an oven-safe dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon pasta sauce over the top of the chicken breasts.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare your rice according to package instructions.
- Place in oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Return the dish to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve over a bed of cooked minute rice.
- One of your favorite vegetables and a side salad will complete this meal.
Spicy Salsa Alternative
For spicier chicken, you may want to try this chicken dish with a salsa sauce and jalapeño peppers. If you go this route, top with Monterey Jack or Colby cheese and serve with a side of sour cream and guacamole.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Susan Zutautas