Chicken Fajita Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Chicken Fajita Macaroni and Cheese
I happened upon chicken fajita sausage on a road trip today. If you aren't lucky enough to have a Buc-ee's nearby, you can use sliced chicken breast as a substitute.
- 1 lb Chicken Fajita Sausage or Chicken Breast, Sliced thin on a diagonal
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni, Cooked 7 minutes in boiling salt water
- 1/2 cup Poblano Pepper, Thinly sliced into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, Thinly sliced into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Half and half
- 3 TBSP Flour
- 4 TBSP Salted Butter
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese, Finely Shredded Mexican Blend Used
- 1 slice American Cheese, Optional
- As needed Cumin, ~1/2 Tsp
- As needed Oregano, ~1/2 Tsp
- As needed Salt and Pepper
- In a large fry pan over medium high heat, saute the onion and poblano in the vegetable oil until it releases aroma and just begins to soften. Add the chicken (sausage) and continue to cook, resting over heat to develop browning. Add the garlic and stir or toss about 1 minute. Remove the fry pan from the heat and add the cooked noodles, cumin, and oregano.
- Prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the flour and stir rapidly to disperse. Keep this "roux" moving so as not to burn the flour but to cook it prior to adding liquid. Stir for ~ 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the Half & Half slowly, stirring rapidly to prevent lumps. Slowly stir in the cheeses in stages until melted.
- Taste the sauce and add salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano as necessary. Add the sauce to the fry pan with the meat and macaroni. Stir well and serve.
Rate the Recipe
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Melissa Althen