Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Fajitas are traditionally prepared with beef, but if you would like a healthier version with less fat, this chicken fajita version of the traditional dish is for you. See the end of the recipe for instructions on making a vegetarian or vegan alternative to this dish.
Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- juice squeezed from one whole lime
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves of garlic, crushed and/or minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 chicken breast filets, marinated and sliced into strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 onion, sliced into strips
- 2 jalapenos, sliced into rounds
- 1 tomato, sliced into chunks
- cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a dash of freshly ground black pepper
Separate Fillings and Toppings:
- Spanish rice
- refried beans
- sour cream
- guacamole (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- flour tortillas
1. At least an hour before cooking, prepare a marinade for the chicken using the ingredients listed above under "Lime Marinade." When the marinade is mixed, put the chicken in a shallow dish, pour the marinade over it (coating both sides of each filet), and refrigerate until cooking time.
2. Prepare the rice so that it will be done close to the time that the filling is cooked. Set aside on a warm burner if done early.
3. Meanwhile, wash all of the vegetables. Slice the red and green bell peppers into strips. Remove the skin from the onion and slice it into strips. Slice the jalapenos into rounds and the tomato into chunks. Remove the chicken filets from the marinade and slice into strips.
4. Start the refried beans heating over low to medium low heat.
5. Heat a skillet (preferably cast iron) until it is smoking. Add a thin coating of cooking oil oil, then the chicken and all of the vegetables except the tomato. Fry until the onion is just translucent and the chicken is firmed and cooked, then add the tomato and seasonings and fry until the tomato is soft.
6. While the filling is cooking, warm the flour tortillas and prepare the other toppings. Serve the filling still sizzling, and combine it all in the flour tortilla wraps. Enjoy!
Note: For a vegetarian or vegan version of this dish, either prepare the recipe for these Roasted Vegetable Fajita Wraps or substitute a fake chicken product like Quorn Naked Chik'n Cutlets (or their Chik'n Tenders) and prepare it exactly as you would the chicken in this recipe. (Quorn products are not vegan, however. Check your packaging if you are vegan and using imitation meat products).