Best Chinese Honey Chicken and Rice: dinner in 20 minutes!
Easy Healthy Chinese Food
Hands down, this is my family's favorite meal. Wanting to cook more healthy meals for my children, I developed this method of cooking to imitate the Pei Wei honey chicken and Panda Express Orange Chicken, but without the fat from frying. I love this recipe because I can use the same method for making Kung Pao Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken or Sweet Chili Chicken with Pineapple. This method is low fat, quick and easy and tastes great!
Using Frozen Chicken
For those cooks who, like me, sometimes forget to take the chicken out of the freezer in time, I should mention that you can make my honey chicken from chunks of still frozen chicken (I know because I've done it plenty of times!).
Step by Step Photo InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
- 1-2 lbs. Chicken or pork, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cornstarch, (flour can be substituted)
- 1 tea. garlic salt
- 1/2 tea. powdered ginger, (optional)
- 1/2-3/4 cup honey, or to taste
- Cut chicken (or pork) into 1-2 inch cubes on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle cornstarch on the chicken and mix together until pieces are coated.
- Heat up a pan and put in meat. You can add oil or non-stick spray if you want but you don't really need it (for extra Chinese flavor, add 1 tea. sesame oil).
- Stir and fry meat until it is cooked through (no pink inside). This takes about 7 minutes. If you cover the pan, it can go faster but won't be as crispy. If your chicken is frozen, it will take a bit longer and won't be quite as crispy.
- Add garlic salt and ginger (optional). Just as meat is finishing, pour on the honey. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Serve over rice or noodles. You can save to re-heat later.
Orange Chicken Recipe
Orange Chicken: Cook as above but use Panda Express Orange Chicken Sauce (or other orange chicken sauce) instead of honey. Alternatively, you can add Sweet Chili sauce instead of the honey and add 1/2 cup orange juice.
Kung Pao Chicken
- Cook chicken as above. When just cooked, put in a bowl.
- Stir fry 1 cup onions and 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (I like red and green for color). Put those on top of the chicken in the bowl.
- Put 1/2 cup of peanuts or cashews in pan and stir fry until you get a good aroma.
- Put the chicken, onion and pepper mixture back in the pan and combine. Pour on commercial Kung Pao sauce or use my homemade version (see below, it is very good!).
Kung Pao Sauce
mix together in a small bowl:
- 1 1/2 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB sherry
- 1 tea. chicken bouillon
- 1 TB vinegar (red or rice)
- 2 tea. sugar
- 1 tea. ginger
- 1 TB corn starch
Pour on top of chicken, onion, pepper and peanut/cashew mixture and cook until bubbling and thick.
Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork
- Cook Chicken as above. Put in bowl.
- Stir fry 1 cup onions and 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (I like red and green for color).
- Put those on top of the chicken in the bowl.
- Stir fry 1 cup pineapple chunks until just heated (fresh is nice but canned works too).
- Add the chicken, onion and pepper mixture back in the pan and combine.
- Pour on a jar of Sweet and Sour sauce. Cook until bubbling and serve on rice.
Of course, if you have a rice cooker, you can use that, but a Chinese friend of mine told me how to cook perfect rice years ago and it works every time.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tea. salt
- Put water and salt in a saucepan. When water boils, put in rice and stir.
- Turn heat to low and cover the pan. Set timer for 18 minutes.
- If you start the rice before cooking your chicken, they should be done at just the same time--dinner in less than 20 minutes!
Quick and Easy Chinese Noodles Recipe
- 3 cups Cooked Spaghetti or Chinese Noodles
- 1 TB sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1-3 cups of chopped vegetables like onions, bean sprouts, grated carrots, bok choy, water chestnuts or bamboo shoots (I use whatever I have in the refrigerator or cupboard!)
Mix together for sauce:
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB chicken bouillon
- 2 TB sherry or other wine
- Heat oil in the skillet.
- Add cooked noodles and stir until heated through.
- Put noodles in a container.
- Add vegetables to the skillet (thicker ones first) and stir fry until almost cooked through.
- Put the noodles back in and mix together and heat until vegetables are just done.
- Pour the sauce mixture on the noodles and cook until it bubbles.
- Serve separately or with Honey Chicken, Orange Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken or Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork on top.
Rate this Hub!
More by this Author
Step by step photo instructions for zesting lemons 4 different ways. Includes lemon zest substitutes and lemon bread recipe.
Easy photo directions for quick cooking white beans from scratch without soaking, plus recipes, tips and nutritional information.
4 ways to zest a lime with photo instructions. Recipes for using lime zest and lime zest substitutes including recipe for Candied Lime Peel.